The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Body clipping paints? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/body-clipping-paints-149461/)

PaintLovinGirl 01-10-2013 12:00 AM

Body clipping paints?

I plan on showing my 9 month old paint at futurity shows but I don't think he is going to be shedded out by then. I really love the smoother/short haired coats and plan on getting him a heat lamp and keeping a fullbody sleazy or sheet on him as much as possible as long as the weather permits it. He is not in a heated barn, but the barn he is is stays decently warm and he is constantly removing his winter blanket. Our first show this year is in april and I was wondering if I should body clip him to remove his winter coat? It is very thick and he looks like a grizzly bear. He also has a deep chestnut color and four white legs, a blaze and other white spots but he is mostly chestnut. You can see a picture of him under my horses. I was wondering if body clipping is a good idea since I hear that some colors look terrible clipped. I could also use some tips on how to shed it all out if body clipping isnt an option. Thanks!

WickedNag 01-10-2013 07:20 AM

My daughter's new gelding was put under lights and he looked great when he came here though unfortunately it was the end of Nov and we live in SD. So he has to have a blanket on all the time now and I hate that :)

We have our first show in April and she will be body clipping both her boys for that show. Well at least the one that has hair!

oh vair oh 01-10-2013 05:03 PM

Nix the slinky, only put the blanket on him if you've put on the lights and he's started shedding out. If he has hair, he has hair and will likely be too hot if you throw a blanket on him all day at this point. They usually shed out around March/April anyway, so you might be close depending on if you get lights up.

Otherwise, if you do full body clip, I would suggest hiring someone about 6-8 weeks before the show, if I remember right. That gives the hair enough time to grow back in smooth, get rid of the lines, and condition itself. Never body clip right before a show because the hair will be brittle, dull, and the clipper lines might be evident unless you are a pro...

I'm going to my first halter class in March. I don't plan on doing the futurity halter classes though, the halter yearling will swallow my horse alive. Most shows don't start offering LL and IHT until late spring/early summer. I don't know how it is in your area, but in Texas we have to wait until May/June and then hop up to Pinto Worlds in July... But by then at least they will be fully slicked down.

PaintLovinGirl 01-11-2013 06:44 PM

I think my best bet is to just try and keep him as warm as possible now and body clip him before our first show. Not too short though since its still gonna be shedding out and i will have a lamp on him at that point. I'm skipping out on the blanket at this point because he just takes it off anyway and I think its because he gets too hot. The futurity up here has LL from the start and I will be showing him in that as he will do good in a preformance halterclass but definately not a reular halter class so at this point we will only be doing LL and showmanship.