The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Possible new saddle... How's the fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/possible-new-saddle-hows-fit-149467/)

DefineX 01-10-2013 01:15 AM

Possible new saddle... How's the fit?

I'm cosidering buying this Wintec, and I wanted you guys' opinion on the fit. I was a little hesitant at first mainly because I'm a snob and I like the way leather looks :wink: (though I don't show or anything... just the trails for us!)... but this has GOT to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in. Screw a couch, I want this in my living room! Anyway, here's pictures; does it seem to fit him well? I thought so, but it's better to have multiple opinions, right? :D

IMAG1467_zps99b4aef9.jpg photo by DefineX | Photobucket

jumanji321 01-10-2013 01:25 AM

This picture can't be used for a saddle fit critique as it is too far away and you are sitting in it which will change the way it looks on the horse's back.

Phly 01-10-2013 01:33 AM

this has GOT to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in. Screw a couch, I want this in my living room!

I know absolutely nothing about English saddles. But I read that, looked up, yep it's in my living room right now! Snapped the picture just now lol! http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb502e01.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 01-10-2013 02:46 AM

Well, it looks kind of good. I mean the bar angles mimic the shoulder really well and the back seems to fit. We cannot see if there is any bridging or not, only you can feel that.

Why I sound hesitant is that when you sit in it, your butt is wedged way back against the cantle, and your feet our in front , in a chair seat. And though this may in part be part of the way you have just learned to ride, it means that your seat bones are pressind down NOT in the spot that the saddle is designed for them . you are behind the "sweet spot", the deepest part of teh saddle seat. And I think one reason is that the front of the saddle (the pommel) is a tad too high. This will put a person in a chair seat.

Is it tight around the wither? Not the wither but on each side of it, I mean.

DefineX 01-10-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumanji321 (Post 1837842)
This picture can't be used for a saddle fit critique as it is too far away and you are sitting in it which will change the way it looks on the horse's back.

Oh - sorry about that; I'll replace those ones.

DefineX 01-10-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1837877)
Well, it looks kind of good. I mean the bar angles mimic the shoulder really well and the back seems to fit. We cannot see if there is any bridging or not, only you can feel that.

Why I sound hesitant is that when you sit in it, your butt is wedged way back against the cantle, and your feet our in front , in a chair seat. And though this may in part be part of the way you have just learned to ride, it means that your seat bones are pressind down NOT in the spot that the saddle is designed for them . you are behind the "sweet spot", the deepest part of teh saddle seat. And I think one reason is that the front of the saddle (the pommel) is a tad too high. This will put a person in a chair seat.

Is it tight around the wither? Not the wither but on each side of it, I mean.

Hmm... I think the chair seat is entirely my fault. :P I don't think it's too tight; he's very comfortable with it, and his movements haven't been off or anything like that.
Thank you for answering! I'll keep in mind your comments. :)

LeynaProof 01-10-2013 12:16 PM

Are there any dry spots when you finish riding? Does it have an air channel from wither to loin? It is really hard to see from pictures if the fit is good or not. What's your horse tell you? :-)

DefineX 01-10-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1837846)
this has GOT to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in. Screw a couch, I want this in my living room!

I know absolutely nothing about English saddles. But I read that, looked up, yep it's in my living room right now! Snapped the picture just now lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha! :lol:

DefineX 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeynaProof (Post 1838228)
Are there any dry spots when you finish riding? Does it have an air channel from wither to loin? It is really hard to see from pictures if the fit is good or not. What's your horse tell you? :-)

Sorry about the pictures! Honestly, I wasn't sure what kind to put up, so I just took a few. :) There is a long dry place more or less around his spine when we're done; I understand that's good? He seems comfortable in it.