The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Gaiting or limping? please help (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaiting-limping-please-help-149476/)

Horsecrazy4ever 01-10-2013 08:16 AM

Gaiting or limping? please help

I'm looking into buying this horse.... He is a 12 year old MFT gelding.

He has a head bob and the owner says that he is SLIGHTLY off in the front right shoulder.... she thinks.

is this true??? Or is he just gaiting? I'm new to this breed :)

If he is limping, how does one fix it? Chiro?

Can you spot the lameness? - YouTube

poppy1356 01-10-2013 08:44 AM

From what I have learned with gaited horses is they do have a head bob but that bob looks uneven. I'm going to say the horse is off but I would like to see what others have to say.

blue eyed pony 01-10-2013 08:45 AM

He is definitely gaiting, but I can't say what the head bob is from. A little extra head bob is normal in a gaited horse... THAT much extra head bob makes me wonder, especially considering it seems unilateral [he bobs more when one leg hits the ground than the other].

But, I'm not a gaited person, so do take my advice with a grain of salt regarding this horse.

RunSlideStop 01-10-2013 08:46 AM

He looks stiff in his right shoulder to me as well. Who knows without a vet check if chiro would help as it could be any number of things. I would pass, personally.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clava 01-10-2013 08:47 AM

Looks lame to be, but I'm not familiar with MFT, but having watched some videos they don't seem to nod their heads so much.

AnalisaParalyzer 01-10-2013 08:51 AM

definitely looks lame to me. he's gaiting, but its very lopsided.

walkinthewalk 01-10-2013 09:02 AM

He's lame but it could be anything, including deep thrush (in the sulci) which does not always have an odor to it, so don't panic just yet:-)

DancingArabian 01-10-2013 09:20 AM

Looks like he's limping. The MFTs I've seen do have a head bob but its a steady one. This horse has a more pronounced bob every other stride. I'm no expert but that's just how it looks to me.

As to how you help him heal it, it depends on why he's limping. A vet should look at him if you aren't sure what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 01-10-2013 09:48 AM

Yes, he is off a bit and I agree with Walkin' about possible thrush being a cause, among other reasons... or it could be he needs a better/different hoof trim.
FYI not all gaited breeds bob their heads. TWH are known for it, but for example Rocky Mountains (my horse breed) do not bob their heads. :D

Pattilou 01-10-2013 09:59 AM

No question , definitely limping.... you need to get the horse vetted if you are interested. Could be the shoulder, could be the foot.