The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Making leather reins softer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/making-leather-reins-softer-149492/)

ILA247 01-10-2013 11:58 AM

Making leather reins softer

Im wondering how you can get your leather braided reins to be softer? Mine keep rubbing holes in my gloves. I have heard you can soak them in water for a little while or just oil the heck out of them... Does anyone else have any tips?

Fulford15 01-10-2013 12:12 PM

I was taught to never put leather in water as it removes the oils in the leather to keep it soft...

I find cleaning/conditioning my reins(actually, all my tack) with Passier Lederbalsam, keeps them nice and soft and supple.

SaddleOnline 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

I would stay away from soaking them in water, that will make them more stiff actually.

If you have conditioned them and oiled them and it isn't making a difference, you can try coating them liberally with oil, then sticking them in a ziplock bag overnight to soak. Sometimes if you warm up the oil/leather it will penetrate deeper.

Love that Passier Lederbalsam!

Fulford15 01-10-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleOnline (Post 1838252)
Love that Passier Lederbalsam!

It's honestly the only stuff I will use on my tack! I swear by it lol :D

loveduffy 01-10-2013 12:50 PM

I use the C.P R for all leather stuff it work very well

waresbear 01-10-2013 01:34 PM

Yes, warming up the leather and adding some good conditioner will make it absorb better, try a hairdryer on a low setting to speed up the process. When the leather is warmed up, really try working the product into it, bending & manipulating the reins like silly putty.
Posted via Mobile Device

aspin231 01-14-2013 01:42 AM

Bending/rolling the reins really does help. I suggest doing it only where the lacing is though, as it does initially slightly change the colour, only until you oil it next.

My friend and I used to sit in my childhood home's basement and talk about horses, and supple our tack this way, haha.