The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Riding in the snow (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-snow-149499/)

hayburner 01-10-2013 02:48 PM

Riding in the snow

I'm suppose to go on a 3 hour trail ride up here in the mountians and it snowed last night. My horses wear shoes in the front and when in the snow they tend to get snow balls in their feet as i observed when they are out in pasture. Would it be safe to ride them on trails with snow or would i put them out of balance as these balls turn to ice and I've seen them tetering on their front legs with the ice coming out about 2 inches or so. They have no trouble out in pasture in the snow but just wondering when someone is on their back would it be the same...

mls 01-10-2013 03:34 PM

What is the temperature? Is the snow really sticky or dry?

wetrain17 01-10-2013 03:40 PM

I ride in the snow all the time. I just spray pam or put vaseline on their feet to help prevent snowballs. Just pay extra attention to your footing and horse. If they do end up getting snowballs and you go from snow footing to, lets say contrete, they will with out a doubt slip. I would carry a hoof pick with you just in case.

AlexS 01-10-2013 03:41 PM

As your horse is wearing shoes, you could have snow pads fitted next farrier visit and/or borium on the shoes.

hayburner 01-11-2013 07:21 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. I'm in california up at the 3000 ft. level and right now its in the 20s at night and goes into the 40s in the day. The reason i wanted to know is my trainer wanted to go for a 3 hour ride around a mountain by my home. we had a dusting but everything was covered and then the ice, because it was raining before the snow. I will bring a pick with me and spray pam or olive oil spray on the bottom of their front feet before i leave.
So the pam or vasiline will prevent the balls from forming? We have to cross a road that is paved so i was really concerned and now I feel much better knowing what to do. If they were bare foot i wouldn't have any problems but i have quarter horses with little feet and i did take the shoes off the back and it too them a year to adjust.
Thanks again..
Ann

hayburner 01-11-2013 07:24 PM

Oh snow pads. I never thought of that. I'll talk to my farrier at the end of the month. Now with the pads will i have to still put the pam or will the pads take up the space around the shoes. we don't get much snow up here at this level but it seems that in Feb. March and April we get a few storms. It would be worth it to do that.
Thanks Alexs