The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   little S and slobber straps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/little-s-slobber-straps-149514/)

mramsay 01-10-2013 03:30 PM

little S and slobber straps

Hi all, I am currently making my own tack (hubby has bought me a COMPLETE leather workshop as a combine birthday and christmas present).
My gelding goes best in a little S hackamore. I have always loved mecate reins--one peice with a lead (convienient on trails)--plus I like the way they look. That being said--Im thinking about making a thin pair of slobber straps to fit on the hack, and getting mecate reins.
I know slobber straps and mecates are typically used on a snaffle--can any one think of an issue of using these on a little S?
I have just made a dark brown single strap headstall to match these to, will try and post a pic when they are both done.
Also working on a breastcollar for my draft--as I cannot find ANYTHING that will fit her, and I am wary of buying online, as she isnt overly big for a draft (Only 16.2--but also 16.2 wide, lol.

Annanoel 01-10-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mramsay (Post 1838520)
Hi all, I am currently making my own tack (hubby has bought me a COMPLETE leather workshop as a combine birthday and christmas present).
My gelding goes best in a little S hackamore. I have always loved mecate reins--one peice with a lead (convienient on trails)--plus I like the way they look. That being said--Im thinking about making a thin pair of slobber straps to fit on the hack, and getting mecate reins.
I know slobber straps and mecates are typically used on a snaffle--can any one think of an issue of using these on a little S?
I have just made a dark brown single strap headstall to match these to, will try and post a pic when they are both done.
Also working on a breastcollar for my draft--as I cannot find ANYTHING that will fit her, and I am wary of buying online, as she isnt overly big for a draft (Only 16.2--but also 16.2 wide, lol.

The only thing I would be careful of with the slobber straps on a hack is they might add additional pressure where it's not needed. A hackamore which I'm sure you know works on pressure. The mecate / slobber strap combo is traditionally heavier than a set of normal reins would be, so I would just keep that in mind. I've never seen a mecate setup used on a little s, but it might work if done correctly. What a great DH! :-P

mramsay 01-10-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annanoel (Post 1838556)
The only thing I would be careful of with the slobber straps on a hack is they might add additional pressure where it's not needed. A hackamore which I'm sure you know works on pressure. The mecate / slobber strap combo is traditionally heavier than a set of normal reins would be, so I would just keep that in mind. I've never seen a mecate setup used on a little s, but it might work if done correctly. What a great DH! :-P

Weight was probably my biggest concern, but after looking at the hack and the reins I am using, I think I will end up being around the same place. I am removing the heavy chain curb strap and replacing it with a much light home made leather one. Also the reins I am currently using have metal snaps at both ends-I use these because they are easy to undo--I can use them as a lead or, I can unsnap them, hobble the horse to graze, but leave the headstall on.
I also know that bosals with the horse hair mecates can be quite weighty-so I *hope* I will be ok. Im just hoping Im not comitting some type of faux pas, lol