The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Good eventing breed (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/good-eventing-breed-149516/)

GodGirl11 01-10-2013 04:05 PM

Good eventing breed

What do you guys think would be the best breed for eventing, all three phases? I've heard Dutch Warmbloods for show jumping, Hanoverians for cross country, and Friesians for dressage but what about just one horse? What would be the perfect breed?

gypsygirl 01-10-2013 04:10 PM

first, friesians are not best for dressage.

for eventing TBs and TB crosses are popular. I have an hano/Tb cross who is well suited for eventing.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2013 04:11 PM

First of all, generally Friesians are not an ideal horse for dressage.

Second, to answer your question, the most popular breed at least in my area for eventing are TBs. However, a TB warmblood cross can also excel, as well as a full WB of a lighter type. At the lower levels, QHs, arabs, etc.. can also do well, but again a lot depends on the horse's type, jumping ability and mind.

gypsygirl 01-10-2013 04:12 PM

haha anebel, we pretty much said the same thing at the same time !!

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1838562)
haha anebel, we pretty much said the same thing at the same time !!

Hahahaha good job :lol: Shall we disagree over a small difference in our opinions and debate over it for like 10 pages?? :twisted: Hahahaha It wouldn't be a "best breed" thread if we didn't!!

jaydee 01-10-2013 04:18 PM

Friesans arent generally going to be the top level dressage horses - and assume when you say 'best' thats what you mean.
There are various warmblood breeds that make good showjumpers and the dutch are certainly among many of the current top horses but I've never heard of the hanoverian being the sort of horse you'd choose for eventing - something with TB blood will always have more scope over the big wide fences and thats pretty much what you'll see in the UK - even at pony club level it will be a TB x with something like a welsh or connemara

GodGirl11 01-10-2013 04:29 PM

Ahh that was fast! Thanks, guys! Just wondering...why AREN'T Friesians good for dressage? I've heard SO many wonderful things about dressage Friesians!

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodGirl11 (Post 1838574)
Ahh that was fast! Thanks, guys! Just wondering...why AREN'T Friesians good for dressage? I've heard SO many wonderful things about dressage Friesians!

There is a thread in the Dressage sub-forum about this. As well you can search the forum for more threads, it's been discussed at length.

jaydee 01-10-2013 04:37 PM

^^^^ I will leave that to anebel as she has ridden the friesan type breeds in a dressage situation and I've only got experience of warmbloods and WB x TB though I had an ID x TB that was pretty amazing as an all rounder

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 1838587)
^^^^ I will leave that to anebel as she has ridden the friesan type breeds in a dressage situation and I've only got experience of warmbloods and WB x TB though I had an ID x TB that was pretty amazing as an all rounder

I've ridden PREs, no Friesians. I have friends with Friesians, I should hop on one haha :P