The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Treeless Saddles on wide & short backed Haflinger (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/treeless-saddles-wide-short-backed-haflinger-149528/)

pmaehj 01-10-2013 05:57 PM

Treeless Saddles on wide & short backed Haflinger

Just looking for experiences people have had in using treeless saddles on Haflingers. Also interested in the performance you've had if any in competitive trail with your Haflinger. I have one and am considering competing and possibly getting a treeless for him because I have such a hard time fitting a saddle to him due to his wide, but short back. Thanks!

Northernstar 01-10-2013 06:07 PM

Welcome to the forum! I can't boast any experience with them on Halflingers, but am very jealous that you own one!!! When I went to see my Morgan before getting her, the lady had me try her out with her treeless saddle, and I've been pining for one ever since! I'm sure other members will have experiences with Halflingers and be ready to help :)

pmaehj 01-10-2013 08:07 PM

Hopefully!! It would be very helpful!

Catpeedontherug 01-10-2013 08:17 PM

I don't have a Haffie, but I have a wide backed, short withered horse and I use a treeless on her.
I LOVE it!!
My only complaint, or challenge is my saddle slips on the downhills.
And, remounting in the woods was difficult too.

Treeless fits wonderful~ mare has no complaints and they're really really comfy!

pmaehj 01-10-2013 08:24 PM

In that case you should use a crupper! That helps! :) Good luck! And thank you!

Catpeedontherug 01-10-2013 08:26 PM

Yep, I just started looking into it.

unclearthur 01-11-2013 06:40 AM

I don't have a Haffy either but use a treeless (Freemax) on a 16.1hh DWBxID when he's unfit and consequently very fat (his fit width is about 2XW but varies A LOT).

I too have the slipping issue - sideways in my case - and can't mount from the ground without assistance. A non-slip pad would probably help but since the saddle's just a stop-gap I've not bothered.

I once tried to get a Torsion treeless to mark a customer's AQH (very square-shouldered) and failed, even when the horse's back was powdered to make areas with extra pressure more visible. I was impressed - the saddle didn't move in the couple of hours we rode the horse about - but I hated the saddle. The customer loved it though, so that was okay.

I'd see if you can get one on trial before buying to see if it suits both of you :)

DancingArabian 01-11-2013 08:24 AM

The pads on treeless saddles sometimes compress as you ride which for some horses require a girth tightening before remounting. If you learn to mount the Icelandic way you can eventually do so without being virtues allegedly. I haven't had the time to practice enough to see if that's true or not. Here's the website I learned it from: Icelandic Saddle Fitting
Posted via Mobile Device

Clava 01-11-2013 08:30 AM

I have a haffy:D (or two) but don't like treeless so I use a Wintec Wide GP which fits very well and a Thorowgood cob dressage saddle which also fits well.

unclearthur 01-11-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1839133)
The pads on treeless saddles sometimes compress as you ride which for some horses require a girth tightening before remounting. If you learn to mount the Icelandic way you can eventually do so without being virtues allegedly. I haven't had the time to practice enough to see if that's true or not. Here's the website I learned it from: Icelandic Saddle Fitting
Posted via Mobile Device

That's very interesting :-)

But I could probably still vault on an Icelandic, so the problem wouldn't be that great. Trouble is mine's a little bigger :wink: