The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Having work issues with my boss. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/having-work-issues-my-boss-149545/)

Baylen Jaxs 01-10-2013 08:42 PM

Having work issues with my boss.

Alright so, last year I started working for a mini farm around May in the middle of May. Things are going good and well until the last two months.

Tonight while at work we have a pony who punctured his leg and is on stall rest. They just finished doing a round about of penicillin and Gentamiacine. I guess my boss called the vet back and he said continue again with a weeks worth of pen and the genta stuff. Well, this mini is on the verge of 100 pounds. And I know from my bigger horses the first day of Penicillin you are supposed to double the dose. So being this mini is on the verge of 100 pounds or a little less it should be a 200 pounds as doubled....Right? Well she said he vet told her to continue giving the poor pony 300 pounds worth of pen and the genta until its time to quit. I for one do not agree with this I may not know a whole lot about shots and crap. But I know large doses over a amount of time will harm this pony internally or even worse.

The pony was running a very slight fever of 101 and I told her we needed to blanket her as it was cold and raining. She was in the barn but she was wet. She told me "No. We don't do that we let nature take its course. If you baby a horse its entire life it'll be sickly its whole life." I'm not talking about whole life, I'm talking about when the horse is sick. I for one give my horses extra care and attention when there sick. To make sure they get over this with out a hitch.

I also told her that the pony needs hay to lay down in because right now all she is laying on is dirt and mud. She told me to put some of the hay down, well the pony just eats it. She told me putting straw down will kill the pony and any other horse who eats it.......

I know for a fact that horses don't like to eat straw, neither do cows or a lot of any live stock animals. I have never heard of a horse or any animal being killed by eating straw. There has been a few incidents like this to where I'm questioning if working there is a good idea. I haven't started having problems till the last two months with this or how the mini's are treated. But I don't know what to do anymore.

boots 01-10-2013 09:48 PM

You are in a tough spot. I don't know what type of infection the mini has, so there is no way I will second guess the vet's recommendation. That's a losing idea.

Some people don't blanket no matter what and their horses do as well (or better) than those that do. Some people have beliefs about straw, others have notions about wood shavings. You can't fix that either.

Pretty much the bottom line is: Your boss owns the place, the horses, and signs your check. If you don't like what she tells you to do and you have no faith in her ability to care for horses and don't think there is a chance you can learn anything good there, you either quit or start looking for another job.

Baylen Jaxs 01-10-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 1838939)
You are in a tough spot. I don't know what type of infection the mini has, so there is no way I will second guess the vet's recommendation. That's a losing idea.

Some people don't blanket no matter what and their horses do as well (or better) than those that do. Some people have beliefs about straw, others have notions about wood shavings. You can't fix that either.

Pretty much the bottom line is: Your boss owns the place, the horses, and signs your check. If you don't like what she tells you to do and you have no faith in her ability to care for horses and don't think there is a chance you can learn anything good there, you either quit or start looking for another job.

I'm already looking. Last year we had 2 babies born. She left for some family thing. While she was gone the colt got really really sick. He was only three days old. My instinct was to call the vet, its what the vet is for when horses get sick or injured bad enough you call. I called her and asked if I should call she told me no, let nature take its course. There has been a lot of questionable things about how she thinks mini's should be cared for. This vet also believes you should give enough sedative to knock out a 500 pound horse to a 250 pound mini if that.

I'm only looking for a job that pays better. I'm not quitting yet. I'm waiting till all these 7 babies are born this year before I decide if I wanna stay or not.

Thunderspark 01-11-2013 11:58 AM

Horses do eat straw and no it won't kill them!
Putting in a bed of straw will make it more comfortable for the horse to lay down and get the rest it needs, yes it will probably eat some of the straw too but it won't hurt them.
It is their place so there really isn't much you can do....