The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   What do you guys think? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/what-do-you-guys-think-149557/)

whiskeynoo 01-11-2013 05:00 AM

What do you guys think?

1 Attachment(s)
So I browse the horse sale pages on fb daily. And I came across this little guy. I'm very tempted as I quite fancy a project. Your opinions would be appreciated. The ad says he is two, however he doesn't look two in this picture.
Attachment 125192

Left Hand Percherons 01-11-2013 11:19 AM

That picture will never get him sold.

He looks sickle hocked but it could be the way he is standing. I'd be more concerned with his shoulder. That looks like he had some type of trauma and perhaps it shattered and healed wonky. He could be 2. Clydes are very slow to mature, he does have some size to him and he could technically be 2 (Jan 1 birthday) but actually be 18 months or so.

whiskeynoo 01-11-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1839285)
That picture will never get him sold.

He looks sickle hocked but it could be the way he is standing. I'd be more concerned with his shoulder. That looks like he had some type of trauma and perhaps it shattered and healed wonky. He could be 2. Clydes are very slow to mature, he does have some size to him and he could technically be 2 (Jan 1 birthday) but actually be 18 months or so.

He's already had quite a bit of interest in him. The photo really does him no justice at all. I'm just lurking at the moment to see how it plays out.
Now that i'm on my computer i can copy and past the ad: -
"Rising 2yr Clydesdale Colt for sale through no fault of his own. Bay with black mane and tail, 4 white legs.
Sire: Eskechraggan Torres
Dam: Mollinhillhead Heatherbelle (by Collessie Cut Above)

450 no offers"

And according to the girl advertising him he's standing 14'2hh at the moment.

themacpack 01-11-2013 02:45 PM

I'd need to see some much better photos of him, as Left Hand said there are a couple of fairly concerning things that "could" be going on based on this photo that might either be confirmed or cleared up by better photos that show the concerning areas in better detail.

whiskeynoo 01-11-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1839546)
I'd need to see some much better photos of him, as Left Hand said there are a couple of fairly concerning things that "could" be going on based on this photo that might either be confirmed or cleared up by better photos that show the concerning areas in better detail.

I just sent her a message asking for clear direct side shots. so hopefully i'll get them soon.

Left Hand Percherons 01-12-2013 09:45 PM

I think this could be a good exercise even if you aren't interested in him to buy. He does appear to have some major flaws that could be cleared up or confirmed with better pictures and a physical evaluation. It could just be the resolution of the picture but the lumpiness down the front of his hind cannon bones could indicate a serious chronic health issue as well. Drafts can be extremely hard to figure out how they are going to turn out even when you've seen a bunch of them. It helps to see other foals from the same crosses (even just staying with the family lines) to figure out how they mature. As a group, they go through some awful stages where you say "what was I thinking...?". 14.2 is small for 18-20 months. I would expect him to be closer to 16H if he were to mature in the 17.2 range. He is very butt high so he is growing rapidly before the front can catch up (not necessarily a good thing).

I don't have a problem with young horses covered in mud and hairy because they live out in the elements (healthier in the long run) but if you're serious about selling them, clean them up and take some good shots. I do have a problem with that. Where is he priced for your market? That will tell you what the breeder thinks of him.

whiskeynoo 01-13-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1841615)
I think this could be a good exercise even if you aren't interested in him to buy. He does appear to have some major flaws that could be cleared up or confirmed with better pictures and a physical evaluation. It could just be the resolution of the picture but the lumpiness down the front of his hind cannon bones could indicate a serious chronic health issue as well. Drafts can be extremely hard to figure out how they are going to turn out even when you've seen a bunch of them. It helps to see other foals from the same crosses (even just staying with the family lines) to figure out how they mature. As a group, they go through some awful stages where you say "what was I thinking...?". 14.2 is small for 18-20 months. I would expect him to be closer to 16H if he were to mature in the 17.2 range. He is very butt high so he is growing rapidly before the front can catch up (not necessarily a good thing).

I don't have a problem with young horses covered in mud and hairy because they live out in the elements (healthier in the long run) but if you're serious about selling them, clean them up and take some good shots. I do have a problem with that. Where is he priced for your market? That will tell you what the breeder thinks of him.

He's sold now however I personally think he's over priced for the horse market here ( i would of offered 100 less than what she is asking but i am a bit of a tight arse haha) a lot of people are selling horses broken in and riding for the price she is asking (granted they are mostly cobs or tb's)
I asked for more info and pictures however she told me that's all she had as she's selling for her cousin. Here's what else she told me about him.
"Hi stef he is still for sale, hes my cousins horse she is very ill just now hence the sale. She only got him from the breeder in October and he was totally in handled then. He can now be caught, led out, rugs changed, groomed, tailed played with etc. he is still slightly jumpy but thats to be expected and he has been getting his feet picked up (as hes due a trim soon) which he is ok with, still very ticklish round the legs but every day is a step forward. Hope that gives u an insight, she understands he is a project (well anything at his age is really) but he doesn't have a bad bone in him. Just trying to be totally honest as we want a good home."