The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   New saddle advice! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/new-saddle-advice-149580/)

bgood400 01-11-2013 01:28 PM

New saddle advice!

Im looking to buy a new saddle. I show AQHA so I dont want something with a real forward flap. I want a really nice quality made saddle. I have been considering the Spooner by Antares or the Pessoa Legacy XP3 XCH. Does anyone have one of these saddles? What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks!

freia 01-11-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood400 (Post 1839357)
Im looking to buy a new saddle. I show AQHA so I dont want something with a real forward flap. I want a really nice quality made saddle. I have been considering the Spooner by Antares or the Pessoa Legacy XP3 XCH. Does anyone have one of these saddles? What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks!

I don't have either of those saddles so can't comment on those...
You're showing AQHA, so I assume you'll be doing Hunter/hunt seat on flats, hunter equitation, and not jumping, then?
So you're probably looking for a well-balanced A/P saddle? Are you looking new or used, and how much are you willing to spend?
If we know those things, someone may be able to suggest some other models as well, if they're not familiar with the ones you mentioned.

bgood400 01-12-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 1839421)
I don't have either of those saddles so can't comment on those...
You're showing AQHA, so I assume you'll be doing Hunter/hunt seat on flats, hunter equitation, and not jumping, then?
So you're probably looking for a well-balanced A/P saddle? Are you looking new or used, and how much are you willing to spend?
If we know those things, someone may be able to suggest some other models as well, if they're not familiar with the ones you mentioned.

I want a CC saddle. I'm not going to be jumping in it, that is just what everyone is using. I am willing so spend up to $3000 for saddle, stirrup leathers and girth. I will consider both new and used saddles!
Posted via Mobile Device

JustImagine 01-12-2013 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want a close contact saddle, try an HDR (Henri De Rivel). They're super comfortable and fit almost anything and they're not terribly expensive either. I got mine used for $500 and it's still in great condition. I use a thick-ish fleecework sheepskin pad under it and still feel close contact. Here's what mine looks like (it's a 16.5 inch).

bgood400 01-12-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustImagine (Post 1840676)
If you want a close contact saddle, try an HDR (Henri De Rivel). They're super comfortable and fit almost anything and they're not terribly expensive either. I got mine used for $500 and it's still in great condition. I use a thick-ish fleecework sheepskin pad under it and still feel close contact. Here's what mine looks like (it's a 16.5 inch).

I want something that is grippy, and will help hold me in position. Will a HDR do that?

upnover 01-12-2013 04:13 PM

If you're willing to spend $3,000 for a saddle id avoid the HDR. It's not a terrible saddle for the price (although certain models are) but shell out the money for quality if you're got it. The spooner I think has a fairly forward flap. Antares is a fantastic brand though. Try their hampton classic. That's their more basic non custom model and I believe you can get one new for close to your budget. If you want something super grippy go for calfskin or buffalo. Those are definitely more (4-5000 new) but you can find one used in your range. The calfskin is beautiful and the buffalo is very very durable. Also check out Devoucoux, Delgrange, CWD, or butet (by beval) for other quality brands.
Posted via Mobile Device