The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Paint Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/paint-mare-149594/)

5kiddos 01-11-2013 03:18 PM

Paint Mare

1 Attachment(s)
So far haven't had much luck with what we have looked at. Going with my trainer to look at this one on Monday. 8 yr old, 15.2hh (approx. per owner).
I realize it's not the greatest picture, but any thoughts are appreciated. Planning on english pleasure, maybe showing a bit. Kids may want to do some western riding. We are told she goes either way.

KylieHuitema 01-11-2013 03:27 PM

I'm not crazy about her shoulder. She wouldn't be able to get a long, impressive stride, as her shoulder would limit her movement. I don't really like the dip above her withers, but most of my horses have it.

Other than that, I like her conformation. I think she could do good in lower level english pleasure, but I can't see a World Show with her.

PaintHorseMares 01-11-2013 03:30 PM

Hope you don't have lots of mud. We don't even try to keep our mostly white Paint mare clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 01-11-2013 04:04 PM

She looks pretty good actually. Good weight too. Very nicely cleaned up. She may be slightly tied in at the knee but the shadow makes it hard to see.

I expect she may be straight thru the hocks.. but you cannot tell from this photo. Her legs surely do look clean. Her shoulder may be a bit steep and her point of shoulder a bit low.. but she is also leaning forward so that may be a bit deceiving.

I like her.. but would want to see more.

5kiddos 01-11-2013 07:17 PM

When I first saw pictures I wondered right away about keeping her clean! Only would do lower level english pleasure, no expectations for world events :-) I hope to get more pics on Monday

phoenmoon 01-13-2013 12:23 AM

White APHA horses are actually easier to clean in my opinion. I had a mostly white medicine hat gelding who was 20x easier to clean up than my solid chestnut was. He would play and get dirty and I would use a little bit of white and bright shampoo and he would look good as new

Mochachino 01-13-2013 12:32 AM

Yes I agree, you can get white so bright. My chestnut looks a little cleaner when cleaned up, but no where near my Black and white paint, he just shines....that's until he goes out to play again.
I like the paint, I saw the shoulder and also the short neck, but like the legs and she looks like she would be ok for what you want from her.

phoenmoon 01-13-2013 10:23 AM

Who is she out of? Another thing I forgot to mention about horses with alot of white is sunburn.I had to keep a sheet on mine and use sunblock or he would burn really bad. I also had to keep his tail bagged because if that got stained it stayed stained for a long time.

5kiddos 01-13-2013 07:06 PM

I have heard of horses with white heads and faces being susceptible to sunburn. Can the whole body burn?? I haven't heard that before.

phoenmoon 01-13-2013 07:20 PM

Oh yes. My gelding would turn pink tinted and Peel if I wasn't careful but he was 95% white. I have had other paints with more color to them who did fine in the sun. They used to have a special horse shampoo with built in sunblock but I don't know if its stillon the market.