The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Independance of your seat. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/independance-your-seat-149599/)

faye 01-11-2013 03:24 PM

Independance of your seat.

I dont think riding youngsters has done my seat any good.

I used to be completely independant, take my reins and stirrups and it was no problem even on a big warmblood trot (once got described as "brave" when I went to try a big moving wb for someone else and didnt bother with rising trot I went straight into sitting)

however for the last 2 years I have ridden only youngsters, my position seams to have gone to pot and today whilst riding Reeco on the lunge I just could not sit the trot (so in order not to scare him I went rising, if you dont know his history or progress see thread here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...rested-148896/ ) and the urge to grab the reins to balance myself actualy scared me.

Soo any one know the best and quickest exercises that I can do on a young horse (will be jeff NOT Reeco) to help me get it back? I can only get someone to lunge me about once a week.

tinyliny 01-11-2013 03:55 PM

I don't know your age, but if you are moving into or are well into middle age, it does things to one's balance, confidence, strength and all.

faye 01-11-2013 04:01 PM

nope I'm still in my 20's! so not old age!

Kayty 01-11-2013 11:26 PM

Ah the joys of young horses!! They can ruin even the best of riders - and a big reason why I'd like to keep Spighi going at least until Billy is at novice/elementary, so I don't feel like a complete dummy riding a youngster!

Is there any possibility for you to ride something not young say once a week? I've always found that getting even just one ride a week/fortnight on something that isn't relying on you 100% to keep it upright, is enough to keep you feeling like you can still ride.

faye 01-12-2013 03:40 AM

Unfortunatly, whilst the girls on the yard would quite happily lend me thier horses to ride they consist of:

3yr old connie who is just bein broken
5yr old connie who was broken last year but has a bad back
2yr old coloured
6yr old highland who doesnt know what forwards is!

so probably not the best selection of horses for me as a rider but an excellent yard for the knowlege to sort out Reeco's problems.

DuffyDuck 01-13-2013 03:12 PM

OH! I know your pain!!

I made the mistake of asking my coach to ride one of her school horses. He is built like a tank, no fancy moves but jeez you have to work those core muscles!!

Wanting to get in to Sandhurst in a couple of years, so I have started working on my fitness levels, and it has helped so much.

I run 5.5 miles three times a week, with press ups and sit ups.

Helps a lot!

minstrel 01-13-2013 03:28 PM

I was the same when I first got Fitzroy - I had been working backing and bringing on youngsters for a couple years, and when I picked myself up a well schooled 13 yo TB x Danish Warmblood with HUGE paces I don't think I really knew what I'd let myself in for... thankfully he put up with me whilst I got myself back together again, and riding him made me so much better with the youngsters as well. I'm missing him now with my greenie, as I know training Geoff won't be doing the best for my seat, not matter how balanced he is... but have booked a few lessons on my instructor's horse who is competing medium, so hopefully will keep me ticking over!

Jadedmare 01-13-2013 08:34 PM

My mare has a huge bouncy trot so when I was learning to sit her trot, my coach always reminded me "quality, not quantity." I would sit for three or four strides, then post. Or post on the long side of the arena and sit on the short side. I also found that I could sit easier with no stirrups.

thesilverspear 01-14-2013 07:33 PM

Riding my older horse kept me sane and kept my skills up when I was breaking my youngster.

I wish you were up my way, Faye. You could have a go on my horse. I've been trying to get someone else who knows what they're doing to sit on her, just so I can see how she's going these days since the only view I ever get is between her ears. You'd think if you offered fellow liveries a shot on your big moving, but steady and quiet schoolmaster, they'd jump at the opportunity but when I have done, they look at me like I suggested they get on a dragon. Weirdos. Anyway, if you're ever up in Scotland....

faye 01-16-2013 06:48 PM

silverspear 4 years ago I was up your way (well Edinburgh at least!)

I dont think my critique of my riding is helped any by the fact that I've been rewatching videos of me on Jeff and thinking, "OMG waht are you doing with your hands! look up you silly muppet! Heels down!" etc.

I need to find a decent riding school not a million miles from me. There are plenty of mediocre ones but they are no good unless you want to learn how to give a good pony club kick.