The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Do YOU wear a helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/do-you-wear-helmet-149620/)

LikeaTB 01-11-2013 05:47 PM

Do YOU wear a helmet?

I am going to start wearing my new helmet that I got today (Tipperary Sportage), and I was looking around at helmet stuff on the forum and I came across a few 'do you wear a helmet' questions, but they were all old posts and I didn't want to bring it back up, so I made my own.

So....do you wear a helmet?

Quite honestly, I haven't worn one in a year or two, since I did English. I wore one the first year doing Western after English but then I stopped (I've been doing Western for 3 years). I got a dressage saddle for Christmas and I know it will be easier for me to fall off in that saddle, I got a helmet. My barn had one but it was a darned Troxel Sport, and was very uncomfortable.

What are your reasons for wearing/not wearing a helmet?

Thanks for answering!

DraftyAiresMum 01-11-2013 05:56 PM

I wear one. In fact, I need a new one. I wear one because I've had friends get hurt while not wearing one and I don't want that to be me. I also wear one because, to me, it just makes sense to.

I really want to get a Tipperary Sportage. I hate the Troxel I have.
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 01-11-2013 06:00 PM

I wear one every time I ride, except for a handful of times when one was not available to me. I have a track record of falling off in really odd ways, but I've never fallen off doing something stupid (I have done stupid things!) I'd also like to live past sixteen :)

bsms 01-11-2013 06:13 PM

I wear a Tipperary Sportage. Only fallen off once, when my mare bolted during a dismount, but she's not very sure-footed and there are rocks everywhere...so if we go down, I'm likely to be hurt bad without a helmet. But I'm also quite content to let others make their own decision, and I won't refuse to ride if I don't have a helmet around.

Sherian 01-11-2013 06:28 PM

I always (well 99.99%) wear a helmet. I can function with a broken arm okay, not so well with a broken skull and smushed brain.

HorseMom1025 01-11-2013 06:31 PM

I'm in my late 30's and yes, I wear a helmet every time I ride. It doesn't matter what I'm doing on the horse, I feel better wearing a helmet and setting a good example for the youngsters at the barn.

My daughter (10) also wears a helmet every time she rides. Even in Western Pleasure classes at shows.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 01-11-2013 06:43 PM

I trail ride and wear a helmet everytime, you just never know what is going to be around the next corner

gigem88 01-11-2013 06:52 PM

I only wear a helmet at the dressage shows.

tim62988 01-11-2013 07:03 PM

I always wear a helmet (ovation schooler, very comfortable same "shape" as the tippary, jsut without the piece that comes down in the back since that wasn't comfortable on my head)

my question is why would you NOT wear one?

it's cheap insurance, also seems to be bigger with the western world and a lot of people we met trail riding this summer didn't wear one.

I don't look down on those that don't, i'm just not quite sure why one woudln't with all of the different helmet options there is bound to be one that is comfy

DaraT 01-11-2013 07:21 PM

I've been dumped or fallen several times in 30+ years of riding. A few of those were bad enough that I got a mild concussion even though I had a helmet on. One fall was bad enough that a friend heard the snap of the helmet breaking as I hit the ground from across the small field we were riding in. I hate to think what would have happened if I had not had one on. So yes I wear a helmet when riding.