The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Schooing Exercises to fix lower leg issues! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/schooing-exercises-fix-lower-leg-issues-149669/)

brookebum 01-12-2013 04:38 AM

Schooing Exercises to fix lower leg issues!

So my leg sucks bad and is pretty much useless when jumpping so I need to do something about it!!

I have very limitedd facilites so the best I can do is really a double if that- so big grids are out!
Thanks homies.

faye 01-12-2013 04:44 AM

sod the jumps and stay on the flat, preferably on the lunge with no stirrups to sort your leg position out!

brookebum 01-12-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 1840584)
sod the jumps and stay on the flat, preferably on the lunge with no stirrups to sort your leg position out!

I do stirrupless almost every day.. and kind of lunge myself haha ( My horse will canter circles on his own so i can just focus on my position)
I really only have an issue jumping!

Oxer 01-12-2013 06:20 PM

Yep, I'm with Faye. Flat work is the way to go.

Lower leg strength comes with time. I ride about 5 days a week now, and have been for the last couple years. So my position, legs, and seat are all 100 times better than they were when i started. If you just keep at it, before you know it you'll be much more solid and secure than you could have imagined! :)

brookebum 01-12-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 1841273)
Yep, I'm with Faye. Flat work is the way to go.

Lower leg strength comes with time. I ride about 5 days a week now, and have been for the last couple years. So my position, legs, and seat are all 100 times better than they were when i started. If you just keep at it, before you know it you'll be much more solid and secure than you could have imagined! :)

As I said, I do stirrupless and a lot of sit trot every day. I flat 5 days a week and jump once a week if that.
My leg is solid on the flat and I dont have a problem there. I am asking for things I can do to keep it secure when jumping.

DancingArabian 01-12-2013 09:04 PM

I think more two point work would help. Do all your flatwork as normal - walk, trot, canter, poles (no jumps), transitions, direction changes, etc. but in two point.

MyBoyPuck 01-15-2013 08:32 PM

Without pics it's hard to tell what piece of the puzzle you might be lacking. Are you maybe gripping with your knees instead of hugging with your lower legs? Do yo sit full seat or 1/2 seat on approach?

KatieandTed 01-19-2013 08:38 AM

Do lots of 'standing trot' where you have to stay in the risen position during trot and canter, the only way you can stand without holding on or leaning forward is to keep your legs in the right place and by going with the rhythm of the horse- this should help as you go into the jumping postition. I hope this helps :)

wesgirl 01-25-2013 03:10 PM

It would really help if you could show us a picture :) As MyBoyPuck stated, you could be gripping with your knee too much which would cause your lower leg to slip, or it could be that your putting too much weight up front on your hands and not enough in your heels. It's also possible that your two point position is not correct and your "jumping ahead" meaningyour crotch is in front of your pomel...which will also cause your lower leg to go backward. So take those into consideration and post a picture if possible :)