The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Prospect buy? (11yr old Peruvian Paso Fino) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/prospect-buy-11yr-old-peruvian-paso-149680/)

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 10:01 AM

Prospect buy? (11yr old Peruvian Paso Fino)

I'm complete pants at judging whether a horse looks good or not, so I thought I would let the community see what they can find :) There's two pictures on the ad (listed twice, two different ads of the same horse), and I'm aware they are not very good shots. I'm emailing the owner, and I'm going to request more (and see if she can get conformation pictures, too.) Now that things have settled down since moving and the whole new year thing, my wanting another horse mostly has to do with the fact Sirius has taught me SO much, but even though I don't really want to "advance" to anything, he deserves a bit of a lazy retire! If I were to get another, I'm seriously content riding in the fields. I have no plans for trail riding, jumping, etc. I just like to enjoy my horse; I grab Sirius, do a bit of groundwork, and ride around my trainer's ten acres at peace. It's all I pretty want (stating before someone asks what perhaps his purpose would be :-))

PERUVIAN PASO FINO GELDING...GORGEOUS
Gorgeous Peruvian Paso...Trained....Gaited Horse...REDUCED

Catpeedontherug 01-12-2013 10:12 AM

He's pretty!
Not a confo person either, but wanted to comment that you stated you are looking for a horse to ride peacefully out on the acreage, but in the ad it states he's not for beginners. I'm not saying you are a beginner at all, but it sounds like you are into a relaxing, chill ride...and he might be more exciting than what you are looking for.

Just a thought.

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpeedontherug (Post 1840724)
He's pretty!
Not a confo person either, but wanted to comment that you stated you are looking for a horse to ride peacefully out on the acreage, but in the ad it states he's not for beginners. I'm not saying you are a beginner at all, but it sounds like you are into a relaxing, chill ride...and he might be more exciting than what you are looking for.

Just a thought.

Oh, yes, I'm aware :) Even my older gelding (turned 18 this year!) was a bit of a work at the beginning, but I got him to relax with the help of my trainer. I'm very much willing to work with the new horse to get them more at ease. I'm also looking for a bit of a challenge every now and then; I love teaching them new things, and seeing that light bulb go off in their head when they see it. Sirius acts like such an old geezer :lol: I'm not very sure what to even classify myself as, actually; perhaps advanced beginner, though I've been seriously riding for about two years (past the whole occasional paid trail ride, going from that to riding almost everyday.)

Thank you for commenting!! <3

Foxtail Ranch 01-12-2013 10:22 AM

Are prices normally that low in your area? Up here, he'd be at least twice that much
Posted via Mobile Device

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 1840737)
Are prices normally that low in your area? Up here, he'd be at least twice that much
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, yes! It may also be because it's still winter-ish here so people are trying to sell a few horses from their herds. But the surrounding area (Gulf Shores, Foley, Fairhope, etc), it's common. A lot of them I personally know (how big the horse community is - we are out in the country), and most are good for beginners/first-time owners. Some been-there-done-that horses sell for as low as 300 around here.

Cacowgirl 01-12-2013 12:21 PM

I think he's nice looking, he's not skinny-I'd at least take a look, possibly try him out, see if you like his gait.

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1840862)
I think he's nice looking, he's not skinny-I'd at least take a look, possibly try him out, see if you like his gait.

Thank you for your comment :) I think I'm definitely going to try him out, once I get more information about him.

existentialpony 01-12-2013 01:04 PM

I'm an aspiring confo person (ha) but I know nothing about gaited horses, so I'll say what I see, take it with a grain of salt and everyone else can feel free to correct me. :)

I think (from these pictures) he's over at the knee, and *maybe* his hocks are a little low and he's a tad upright at the shoulder?

I'm not very good at this. :D He's a pretty boy, though!

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existentialpony (Post 1840909)
I'm an aspiring confo person (ha) but I know nothing about gaited horses, so I'll say what I see, take it with a grain of salt and everyone else can feel free to correct me. :)

I think (from these pictures) he's over at the knee, and *maybe* his hocks are a little low and he's a tad upright at the shoulder?

I'm not very good at this. :D He's a pretty boy, though!

Thank you so much for commenting! Sirius is gaited, so thankfully I'm somewhat used to them - to the point of where riding my trainer's quarter horses feels odd after I've just ridden him. Could you explain a bit more about this? :) I have no clue about conformation, though I plan to try to understand it a bit more, right now I'm a bit lost. Could this somehow make him lame later on?

canteringhearts 01-12-2013 01:14 PM

Videos

The owner sent me these videos, so perhaps this might help a bit.
Please no critique on her riding, because, as said, this isn't me. I'm just looking at the horse, though I do understand different riding styles can sometimes equal a different horse, depending on the person.

And on that note, I really like his smooth going in the second video - it doesn't appear too bad/bouncy, but I won't know unless I test him out, though I could be wrong. He lifts his legs up high, and his head is up too, I noticed. Not very high, but somewhat level, I think. His walk in the first video sure does show a long stride!