The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   turning and napping issues,, HELP!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/turning-napping-issues-help-149711/)

Ninjarider 01-12-2013 03:54 PM

turning and napping issues,, HELP!!

hi im a quite experienced rider (walk, trot, canter, showjumping 3'3 do dressage and x country) really struggling with my 21 year old loan horse , he has always been quite stubborn but since the bad weather has come i cant ride him as much as needs because the arena is terrible at the moment and i cant hack him
luckily he doesnt get fizzy from not getting ridden too much as his owner changed his feed to a lower energy food, but he seems to have forgotten manners and that i am in charge, he wont go anywhere he doesnt want to , refuses to move, rearing etc...

it is worst wen i ask him to turn left , he just bends his neck left and falls out to the outside and ends up going right, and hes started doing it wen i turn right if he doesnt want to, im really worried that its going to get worse and worse but i just dont want to make it worse because im not entirely sure how to correct this :-(

any help or advise welcome

smrobs 01-12-2013 04:05 PM

Howdy and welcome to the forum :D.

Have you had a saddle fitter check your saddle fit to make sure he's not being pinched anywhere? When is the last time his teeth have been floated? What kind of bit are you using on him? How are you asking him to turn; reins only or a combination of reins and legs? Was he trained as an English horse or a Western horse?

Ninjarider 01-12-2013 04:39 PM

its his owner who sorts his teeth feet saddle etc so im not really sure but shes quite well off , loves his to death since shes had him for 10 years and very conscious of his well being , ( ive never known a horse to have so many rugs licks and toys) so im sure she checks regularly and makes adjustments,

he rides in a normal snaffle, i use a combination of rein and leg but i have naturally heavy hand but i dont yank or anything horrible just tend to holdto much (but im working on being lighter)
hes trained in english apparently to a high level

i did a test to see if i could turn/move him with just my legs but he did absolutely nothing completely ignored them

Saddlebag 01-12-2013 05:17 PM

At 21 it could be signs of arthritis and he may be telling you the only way he can.

Ninjarider 01-12-2013 05:28 PM

yeah thats wat i thought :(

i'll feel really bad moving on from him but im not really learning anything or enjoying it and i feel that my riding is going backwards, do you think im giving up on him if i terminate the loan?

LynnF 01-13-2013 12:52 PM

I would mention it to the owner and see if you can get a vet check. If it is arthritis and he is in pain you are probably best to move on. If he is sound then it is a training issue and what you need to decide is do you want to spend your money leasing a horse that you have to put lots of training into or do you want to find something else that you can just hop on and ride. It will depend on what your goals are and your comfort level with training is.

Ninjarider 01-13-2013 01:49 PM

yeahh i will ask the owner ,, if its a training issue im not really sure how to correct it :(

BearPony 01-17-2013 12:31 AM

Does he spend time turned out in a field or ridden by others when you are not able to exercise him? If he does have arthritis (and at his age, he almost certainly does to some degree or another) then decreasing his exercise/exercising irregularly may actually be making him feel worse.

There are many options available for making horses with arthritis comfortable, so please talk to his owner and vet. I'm not saying that you should ride him if he is truly in pain, but that for many older horses with arthritis, maintaining a consistent exercise program can actually help manage their discomfort.

natisha 01-17-2013 08:40 AM

Have his owner ride him & see if he gives her the same trouble. I'd start there.