The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Solo comb (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/solo-comb-149727/)

farmpony84 01-12-2013 07:59 PM

Solo comb

Is it worth it?

SoloComb - Grooming Tools from SmartPak Equine

unclearthur 01-13-2013 07:56 AM

I use one all the time. Pain-free (for horse and user) and much quicker than conventional pulling, IMO. I've never had a problem with short hairs growing up through the mane but maybe that's down to the horses we've had.

Because quite a few horses bleed and most of them fidget, I've never liked pulling manes. But there again I've never plucked my eyebrows so maybe it's a man thing :)

faye 01-13-2013 08:10 AM

If you pull a mane and cause bleeding then you are seriously doing it wrong.
I have never ever caused bleeding when pulling a mane and all my horses fall asleep whilst i'm doing so.

the solo comb is good if you dont need to plait the mane afterwards. If you do need to plait the mane you end up with a thick mane that is diffcult to plait and spikey bits popping out of your plaits.

I have one for pulling tails as you can cause bleeding and pain there and the whole point of pulling a tail is so that you dont have to plait it

unclearthur 01-13-2013 10:48 AM

If you end up with a thick mane and spiky bits you are seriously using it wrong :P

kitten_Val 01-13-2013 10:56 AM

FP, I got one, used it several times, and I do NOT recommend it. Doesn't matter how close to the root you try to cut the look is still VERY different from the pulled mane. Plus it grows back in an ugly way (so my paint's mane looks much worse now, doesn't want to stay on one side even after the braiding, etc.).

When you plan to pull first work your horse off really good (so it'd be all warm, or even sweating), and then pull with the (cheap) pulling comb right after that. It pulls like a charm!

kitten_Val 01-13-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 1842002)
But there again I've never plucked my eyebrows so maybe it's a man thing :)

:rofl: It's not all that painful, UA! Waxing is much worse!

Pulling depends on a horse. My qh HATES it, my paint while not fan of it is OK about it.

farmpony84 01-13-2013 03:06 PM

I have to at least band so I'm going to hang with the no votes I guess. Oh how I hate pulling!

faye 01-13-2013 03:28 PM

at least me using a solo wrong wont cause harm to a horse, pulling a mane and drawing blood is almost unheard of!
Sorry but what the hell are you doing to draw blood? My horses have pulled manes all year round, I show and every one of my showing friends pull manes all year round (except for a few who have horses that need very long manes) and never ever has one ever drawn blood.

minstrel 01-13-2013 04:02 PM

Thinning combs are great for tails, they have a really nice neat finish, but not for manes. Not unless you have several inches to take off before you start pulling! A good old mane comb is best... or even just your fingers, if you have plenty of time ;)

unclearthur 01-13-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 1842441)
at least me using a solo wrong wont cause harm to a horse, pulling a mane and drawing blood is almost unheard of!
Sorry but what the hell are you doing to draw blood? My horses have pulled manes all year round, I show and every one of my showing friends pull manes all year round (except for a few who have horses that need very long manes) and never ever has one ever drawn blood.

Almost unheard of? Not never heard of, then. And tails bleed, do they? :?

Fact is that I've had a number of horses that didn't like mane pulling (including bleeders) as well as one who didn't care or bleed. Plus I had a mare whose mare had been pulled for showing at sale who you couldn't put your hand on mid-crest, let alone hold her mane there.

So now I rarely pull. I hate my own hair pulled so why inflict it on a partner?