The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosby Saddle pricing?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tack Collector 
#1 ·
I found a Crosby saddle at a yardsale today and I fell in love and bought it. It's a Mark VI Combination Spring Seat. I'm not sure how old, but it's been laying around for awhile so it's a bit bent and dirty but nothing that cant be conditioned and cleaned. The leathers need to be replaced and I would have to use my other girth on it because the one it came with is torn up, but the saddle is in perfect condition. Now heres the part you all will probably hate me for, I paid $43 for it. I looked it up and I haven't found a single one that is less than $350 used. Crosby no longer makes this saddle. I've read that it is perfect for horses that have hard to fit withers (which my horse does). I really want to clean it up and use it. I have another black all purpose saddle made by a local saddle maker that I've been wanting to use but it is brand new and super hard and I don't have the time to really treat it like it should be. I'm thinking about selling my black saddle and keeping this one but I'm not sure yet. I'm considering maybe putting this crosby on either ebay or craigslist to see how much I could get. I'll try to attach a picture so you guys can see, the only one I have it's a little blurry in the back, idk why, but it shows the quality of it. Please tell me what you think of the saddle in general. if you have one, do you like it? about how much could I get for it? any bad things about it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. You did good. What a lovely A/P saddle. Maybe leaning a little towards jumping saddle? It looks very nicely balanced. Everything nice and straight and sound? Does it have the foam panels or is it flocked? Are the panels hard or soft? Lumpy or smooth? That will affect its value. Billets all good? that will all be part of determining the value.

If it were me, I'd keep it. But I'm a saddle collector/hoarder. For that price, what if you needed to ride a horse that only that saddle would fit? And it's really cool. And I've never seen a Crosby that looked like that. It looks more like a Passier or Kieffer.

#4 ·
I wouldn't list it on eBay if you decide to sell it- it sounds like you can sit on it for a while to get the best price, but if you list it in an auction you are obligated to sell it even it only goes for the starting bid price. You might try polishing it up, taking good photos (from all angles and showing detail) and then listing it on some of the free listing sites toward the upper end of the reasonable range to see if it gets any bites. You'll be amazed at how much more you can get for a saddle (or anything really) if you have quality photos, information, and time :)

#5 ·
You're not necessarily obligated to sell it. ebay has a reserve price feature, which enables starting the price low but the seller is not obligated to sell the item unless the reserve price (minimum acceptable bid) is met. The seller has the option of selling to the highest bidder, just isn't obligated to.

And there are fixed-price listings (buy it now), and also auctions with a buy-it-now price added. The BIN price must be at least 10% above the minimum bid, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.