The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   i need practice balance in the canter and faster (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/i-need-practice-balance-canter-faster-149744/)

AlottaBitCountry 01-12-2013 09:19 PM

i need practice balance in the canter and faster

I can ride a trot just fine, but when it comes to the canter it takes me a minute to get used to the motion. i know how to ride a canter alright, but i tend to feel really unbalanced when I go fast. i tend to want to point my toes down and lean tense forward and straighten my legs... does anyone know what i mean?? I need some advice on relaxing at high speeds and not wanting to get tense and aqward.

any thoughts?
im wanting to get into some versatile ranch team events at school, and i need to practice getting used to this fast riding, etc..

existentialpony 01-12-2013 09:29 PM

I've been saying this a lot lately, because I read it in a Clinton Anderson book and it helped me a lot... reach one arm back, grab the cantle and PULL yourself into the saddle when you ask for that first stride, if that's where you have your trouble. While you are pulling, your butt/seat should be totally relaxed so that you are niiiice and deep. That helped me learn to sit it better and feel the motion. :)

AlottaBitCountry 01-12-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existentialpony (Post 1841593)
I've been saying this a lot lately, because I read it in a Clinton Anderson book and it helped me a lot... reach one arm back, grab the cantle and PULL yourself into the saddle when you ask for that first stride, if that's where you have your trouble. While you are pulling, your butt/seat should be totally relaxed so that you are niiiice and deep. That helped me learn to sit it better and feel the motion. :)

for the canter or high speed? lol
I sit pretty deep in the canter, mainly its the stopping and not wanting to straighten out and lean forward. i really should sit deeper and lean back.

i guess i mainly mean for high speeds... some people make it look so easy and can even do it bareback some of them! crazy lol

shmurmer4 01-12-2013 10:33 PM

Get rid of the stirrups :)

AlottaBitCountry 01-12-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmurmer4 (Post 1841695)
Get rid of the stirrups :)

what do you mean by that lol
just take my feet out?