The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/do-something-you-love-youll-never-149747/)

Tessa7707 01-12-2013 10:34 PM

Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life

Not sure where to put this, I wish there was a 'lessons' or 'instruction' sub forum somewhere on here.

I took on a new student today, teaching lessons on her own horse. We met last week to talk about what she knew so I could get an idea on where to start, what holes she Might have in her instruction, etc. Based on our discussion, she was about a level 2 in my 4 level program. Upon graduation of level 4, I feel my students are fully prepared to responsibly take care of a horse. She took lessons for about a year and then bought a horse. She hasn't been riding much lately because of fear, she got bucked off a couple months ago.
So today, we go to tack up, and I said "let's check your saddle fit without the pad on real quick, just to make sure it fits" so I place the saddle and WOW... The saddle was way too wide and concentrated all of the pressure in two small spots on his withers. I asked them "so, did someone fit this saddle to him or is it similar to what he had before or?" They said "no, we just went to [local tack shop] and bought a saddle." So I'm helping them find a new saddle and we did the lesson bareback. The bit was hanging so low that it was hitting his teeth, so we adjusted that.
They got the horse from a local animal shelter, and he's a sweet boy that knows he can get away with stuff. I'm not mad at anyone, I'm just so, so happy they came to me. I'm so incredibly overjoyed that I have an opportunity to make this horses life better and help this girl communicate better with her horse. Ahh, sorry for my huge novel of a post, I'm just havin' a good day. :)

tinyliny 01-12-2013 10:51 PM

Wow. It's likely so many of the problems will evaoporate with properly fitted tack and a bit of instructions. Good on ya!

OliviaMyee 01-12-2013 11:44 PM

This is the reason why i love this forum so much ! Even know she did things that were wrong (the gurl your talking about), it was because she just didn't have the knowledge and a clue about what she should do. Instead of you saying bad things about her on the horse forum,you are helping her with her horse and informing her off the things she should do so she cantake good care of her horse. So many people just bitc.h about people new to horses, instead of informing them and helping them.

Tessa7707 01-14-2013 02:27 PM

We found a new saddle that FITS! I'm so proud of them for wanting to get fitting tack! We also switched him to a snaffle instead of his hugely shanked, ported curb bit. He isn't neck reining, and has no business in that type of bit until he is. Everything I explained to the family was lighting up lightbulbs left and right, and the whole family, mom, dad, grandpa and daughter, were listening intently and actually cared. Gah! So proud of them right now!

deserthorsewoman 01-14-2013 02:39 PM

I know the feeling:-)
When I bought my horses, they were at a place where tying high, murderous bits and ill fitting tack is normal( I bet you know what or who I'm talking about). We had to leave our horses there for a week, getting our place ready for them. Two of the guys there really loved their horses, but thought what they were doing was normal. So I showed, suggested and explained......yup, not only lightbulbs....a crystal chandelier came on!!! They bought two stacks of hay for each horse, got decent feed, called a farrier, had me help them pick tack. Wonderful feeling and happy horses

heymckate 01-14-2013 05:55 PM

Way to go! I bet that is rewarding to know they're listening to you and genuinely interested in their horse's well-being. :)

Tessa7707 01-14-2013 06:53 PM

Yes, it's incredibly rewarding. I feel so blessed to be able to do this!

Cinder 01-22-2013 03:58 PM

How good! I'm so glad you're able to help the family and the horse. I'm also impressed that you were so understanding. Kudos to you!

horsegirlalex 01-24-2013 01:06 AM

this is amazing :) i love it when you get the opportunity as a horse person to teach something new to someone ABOUT horses, and then continue to watch them grow with horses ! its so rewarding. i'm happy that you came across this little girl to help her! keep us updated!

waresbear 01-24-2013 02:07 AM

There is a young lady that rides with my instructor, she has for several years. She is a very accomplished rider, always in the top 3 in competitions. Anyways, my instructor told me when she was a kid, her parents hauled her & her then pony in for lessons. They tacked up & went to the arena, the pony had the curb bit in it's mouth, backwards. Everyone has to start somewhere, it great to have instructors & coaches, you are worth your weight in gold to the equestrian community.