The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Standardbreds and racking (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/standardbreds-racking-149778/)

Silent one 01-13-2013 05:03 AM

Standardbreds and racking

I love to watch a good fast racking horse, some of them can really fly! While looking up videos on the internet about them, I noticed that many of them were Standardbreds. Does anyone know, how do they get a Standardbred to rack instead of trot or pace?

rookie 01-13-2013 08:18 AM

I am subbing on this because I am also interested. I have a standardbred that will single foot a little. I am going to try to encourage that the same way I would encourage any other gait.

Idrivetrotters 01-18-2013 07:50 PM

Standardbreds

I didn't see where in the country you are at, but there are some great Standardbred adoption/rescue sites that have great horses some even with saddle training.

If you do not want to go through a rescue I can help find you a STB, I have 2 right now but only one is up for adoption but he can't speed rack as he had an accident with the Amish and broke his knee. He is sound but he lost his speed, my own OTSTB trotter racks/single foots but is still learning. He also will start CDE training this spring.

Country Woman 01-19-2013 02:01 AM

I think you may be confused with the Saddlebred they rack

Skunkworks 01-19-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Woman (Post 1851231)
I think you may be confused with the Saddlebred they rack

Naw, I've seen the videos she's talking about or something similar. It's called single-foot or racking. Really insane some of the videos.
This video isn't the best but it shows the gist of it.

Idrivetrotters 01-19-2013 09:03 AM

I've sat on dozens of gaited Standardbreds, they gait, it is a rack/single foot and if my laptop didn't die a horrible death, I'd bring up video of my current OTSTB trotter doing a lovely and very smooth singlefoot.

Standards do not normally have that high step but for a smooth ride and the ability to turn on some speed, can't beat a STB.