The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Other people riding your horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/other-people-riding-your-horse-14981/)

KiwiRyder 09-21-2008 05:42 PM

Other people riding your horse

Well I have had my horse since Feb he is OTTB and have just started to get him going well, after injuries & winter. I have been dying to have a video of me riding him or see someone else ride him. So I asked one of the girls at my grazing to ride him, lets just say he didn't go so well for her. Went hollow, fought the bit the whole way & wouldn't even canter on the right lead. I still have moments with leads & even accepting the bit but certainly goes better than that for me. One of the other girls I ride with couldn't believe it was Mel in her words a very unhappy Mel hehe
What sort of experiences have you guys had with other people riding your horses? I thought it was a good idea but not so much now her hands were too hard for him
I have asked a friends daughter to come ride him cause I know from riding her horse that she will be the right rider so I can watch his movement etc

4EverPainted 09-21-2008 06:14 PM

No one else can ride my horse, lol. Since i was mostly the one who did his training and all that, he won't even move for anyone else, not even my twin sister, i think it is just they are so used to you riding them, anybody else is too different.

PoptartShop 09-21-2008 06:24 PM

Yeah, same here. When I had Lexi, nobody else but me could really ride her. If someone else did, they'd have to be very advanced, & patient. Like, when I watched other people ride her (like friends sometimes)- she'd be a totally different horse! :shock: She was more of a one-person horse, I guess you could say. But yeah, now with her new owner it's still the same (her new owner is a very good rider! they are doing soo well)- only she can ride her (& me of course). ;)

moomoo 09-21-2008 06:26 PM

I hate having other people ride moo :evil: she is mine and i am greedy :twisted: she gets really moody if my sister grooms her :lol: but she is usually ok when others ride her :) atleast in walk/trot on hacks

moomoo 09-21-2008 06:29 PM

lol poptartshop :) moo is a one man pony to me, she wont let the BO near her with the clippers but I can do her face :)

Spyder 09-21-2008 07:50 PM

My horse is trained only by me.

I have had a girl show him in the hunter/jumper over the last two years and winning Champion hunter over fences as well as winning in jumper.

Yesterday my rider got sick early in the morning and could not ride in a show he was entered in so another girl at the barn who never rode him before hopped on him at the show and got two hunter over fences placings on him.

Good training produces a ridable horse.

KiwiRyder 09-21-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder

Good training produces a ridable horse.

Oh I agree but bad riding ie/ hard hands is something a horse with soft mouth is going to react to no matter what training is done.

Plus this is the first person I have seen ride my horse since owning him, I knew him well racing I was part of his breaking in & race training. During that time I only ever saw one other track rider ride him & 2 jockeys. So Mel really has only had about 6 different people on his back

My2Geldings 09-21-2008 08:19 PM

No one rides my horses. My trainer and I are the only ones to get on my horse. When it gets to the point where I want to take someone out on a trail ride and I the horse I let this person ride, I want to make sure he/she is trained enough to not rely on the rider and that won't be for yearssss to come.

So as of right now? no one gets near me horses without me there, no one gets on my horses.

myboydoc 09-21-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Yeah, same here. When I had Lexi, nobody else but me could really ride her. If someone else did, they'd have to be very advanced, & patient. Like, when I watched other people ride her (like friends sometimes)- she'd be a totally different horse! :shock: She was more of a one-person horse, I guess you could say. But yeah, now with her new owner it's still the same (her new owner is a very good rider! they are doing soo well)- only she can ride her (& me of course). ;)

you sold her! when! I didn't know that! do you have a new horse?

Pinto Pony 09-21-2008 08:45 PM

With Kai anyone could trail ride him, he is a great little trail leader, just drop the reins and he will walk and trot on the trail great. But as far as riding him in the arena and making him work, I am the only person who he works for. I was trying to get my mum going on him for when I am away but, didn't work. Kai and I are on the same level, we must have some special connection, I have had him for over 10 years... I think it must be the way I ride, and have trained him too, he was the only horses I was riding for a long while. I don't trust him with other people in the arena but on the trail I would.

Then when Com became mine as well, he used to be my sisters, We clicked pretty well straight from the start, but he is such a different ride to Kai. With my students, it takes at least 2 lessons for them to click with Com. He can be a little moody with people who only "think" they know what they are doing but he is a great teacher. He usually puts riders in their place and builds confidence :) I can trust Com to test his rider, and be a safe mount :) But I also see he appreciates when he has a rider who knows what they are doing.