The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Board Increases (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/board-increases-149849/)

MoonlightEm 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

Board Increases

So, I'd been paying $800 a month in New England for boarding my horse. Last fall we got a letter that board was increasing by $150 due to the rising costs of the horse industry. The letter stated that it would take this increase to maintain the level of safety and services that we'd been enjoying.
Then two days ago we got another letter asking for an additional $60 to cover the cost of the increase in hay. Needless to say, I was a bit annoyed.
Does anyone else find this tacky, or is this just the reality of increasing business expenses in the horse world. Sadly, my income is not going up and I may have to sell my beloved animal, or find an inferior barn. (I'm currently at the best one in the area).

Muppetgirl 01-13-2013 08:19 PM

Tacky - yes.....expensive - yes.....my cup of tea - no.......such a substantial rise of over $200 is ridiculous.....

Cowgirls Boots 01-13-2013 08:23 PM

My board raised $25 what you're paying is obsered-atleast to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-13-2013 09:41 PM

That "industry" increase represents $2400yr. Plus the $720 feed cost. Have you asked other boarders if they've gotten this increase? Perhaps it's time to shop around.Your horse won't recognize a barn as being inferior. His interest in life is turnout and lots of hay and other horses nearby.

HorseTrance 01-13-2013 10:11 PM

Inferior for sure. Definitely ask others if they had recieved the notice as well. I'd find a different barn.

maura 01-13-2013 10:41 PM

Without knowing the specifics of the OP's boarding situation or the services the boarding barn is providing, I would not be able o make blanket statements about the board increase being reasonable or unreasonable.

I do agree that it's unfortunate and poor customer relations to announce the hay surcharge on top of the board increase, but it may indicate that the BO waited too long to announce the increase and are no really scrambling to cover the shortfall.

The OP just needs to research a couple of simple questions - are the other barns in the area also raising their rates, and are their other barns with comparable services and amenities that are cheaper?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 01-14-2013 12:04 AM

bleh, I would never pay that much for board unless I was aiming to really get into lessons and go big in showing or something... I would find somewhere else to board my horse even if it's further and less fancy. Then again, I'm the kind of person who's not very fond of the ritzy glitzy feel of the expensive show barns... don't get me wrong there's a number barns that boarding starts at 800 around here but, I've never paid more than 275 for boarding and I've never been further than 11 miles from my horse. dang... couldn't imagine paying almost 1000 bucks a month to keep a horse...

poppy1356 01-14-2013 09:01 AM

You pay more for boarding one horse than I pay for my rent, car payment, insurance and boarding my horse lol. We were just looking at what it would cost to build a boarding facility around me (heated indoor included) and you pay more than 1/3 of what the costs would be.

I would look around to see what other barns charge. In my area my board is about the cheapest at $165 for pasture and that goes all the way up to over $1,000 a month for some show barns just a few miles away. Find out what other barns offer and decide if you can live without some of the "fluff" to save money.

tim62988 01-14-2013 09:09 AM

what about supplying your own hay?

and what part of New England are you in? the location makes a huge difference in hay prices as well as how much the owner's expenses are changing: as a barn/property gets older more maintenance is needed costing the owner more $$ than they origionally thought

Freemare 01-14-2013 09:11 AM

I pay $150 a month. I am happy just to have a arena, round pen, tack room and my horse has a stall and is fed.