The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Best Angles for Critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/best-angles-critique-149874/)

Deschutes 01-14-2013 12:58 AM

Best Angles for Critique?

I want to get some pictures taken of me riding so I can better my position and other faults I might have. What should I ask my picture taker to do so as to get the most out of the pictures?

blue eyed pony 01-14-2013 01:12 AM

Straight from the side, straight from the front, and straight from behind.

We want to see what you're doing in regards to shoulder/hip/heel alignment, whether your leg is on, toes pointing out, feet, etc, but also your balance in the saddle. Are you weighting one side more than the other? We can't tell without good photos from in front and behind.

Deschutes 01-14-2013 01:38 AM

Right. I haven't been commented on my posture for a while, but I'm wondering if there's other things I work on.

As a side question, when riding stirrupless, is it natural for the inner thigh to tense and kind of "grip"? I've been working on putting my weight in the saddle stirrupless, and I find that is usually what happens.

Deschutes 01-14-2013 01:39 AM

*other things I should work on, rather

blue eyed pony 01-14-2013 01:53 AM

It's natural but not correct, it will jam your hips up. Work on relaxing through the thighs and sinking into your horse and it will be much easier when you do eventually get it. You should have even contact through your whole leg.

I used to grip with my thighs a lot, too, by the way, then rode only bareback for a while... and nearly got bounced off multiple times. You learn pretty quick!

Deschutes 01-14-2013 02:35 AM

Oh ja! I've definitely come a long ways riding bareback/stirrupless. I think my riding has come a long ways. I -do- know that putting weight in my heels has been my hardest challenge, and I have a nasty habit of putting weight in the outside stirrup, not the inside/evenly and that's baaaad...

blue eyed pony 01-14-2013 02:50 AM

I struggle to keep my stirrup weight even at times too, it's a very common bad habit! Most people have one leg slightly longer than the other [the dominant leg, typically - if you're a leftie like me your left leg is likely to be a teeny bit longer] and tend to be a bit better balanced riding on one rein/leg than the other.

I find that when I'm riding and my stirrup weight goes uneven it's because I'm nervous and one heel [usually my right] has come up.

Deschutes 01-14-2013 03:02 AM

I'm a righty, but I find my right hip is weaker than my left, I think... I can't remember, but I used to have a lot of trouble putting leg pressure by one of my legs. I had a couple accidents (non horse related) that kind of messed up my left leg, and I favor sometimes so I'm thinking neither are really stronger, haha!

Often when I ride, I find my feet are just barely hovering above the stirrup for some reason or that used to be the case. Been a couple weeks since I've used any stirrups lately.

blue eyed pony 01-14-2013 07:34 AM

I'm not quite sure whether it's the dominant hip that's stronger, or weaker - I ride better going to the right, or at least so I think given that my HORSE goes better on circles to the right. And he's not the only one I've had that was like that. I've had three in a row that pick up their right canter lead much better than the left.

If I do a lot of stirrupless/bareback work, that happens to me, too. It's because you've been gripping with your thighs. Over time your legs will strengthen and therefore lengthen.