The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New Mustang Training Advice Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-mustang-training-advice-please-149877/)

RideHorses1626 01-14-2013 01:33 AM

New Mustang Training Advice Please!

Okay,so I am applying for Teens and Oregon Mustangs, and I was wondering of anyone had any ground training advice that could help me with the whole process from gentling to competing? Thanks everyone in advance:) also does anyone know where I could buy some 12 foot horse panels for under 80 bucks a piece?

boots 01-14-2013 07:31 AM

Maybe Craigslist or area auctions for the panels.

My three kids each trained two BLM horses each one summer. The horses were all about 7 years old. I believe they were so successful with theirs because they a) treated them like horses and had the same expectations as they would have for any horse, and b) spent a lot of time with their BLM horses.

One put both of hers in a bosal to start. The other two went to D-ring snaffles and bitted them up, and ground drove theirs before getting on. The oldest kid did so much ground driving, I thought she was trying to make cart horses out of hers. They all turned out nicely. (Both the horses and the kids :))

See? Even kids raised in the same family don't agree on what's right or best!

Bellasmom 01-14-2013 09:11 AM

Craigslist is your best bet for used panels. As I recall, your pen only needs to be 20x20 (I think), I would not make it any larger than required. Be aware some of those suckers can JUMP.....my yearling cleared the 5 1/2 ft panels several times to join the other horses before I gave up and turned her out with them. She was essentially halter broken by the end of the first week, so it worked out okay. Good luck!

RideHorses1626 01-14-2013 01:06 PM

thanks everyone! my horse will be a yearling. I have been looking on craigslist like crazy and haven't been finding anything:/ . I' 'll keep looking and if anyone could keep an eye out fir sales in Oregon or on Portland, Corvallis, Eugene, or Salem craigslist for round pens and panel's that would be great! thanks for the posts and advice:) oh ya, I won't be building one because I am possibly moving with in the next two years and I would like to take my pen with me. I am only 14 so it would be super hard to save up all the money again.