The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Does my (close contact) saddle fit her? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/does-my-close-contact-saddle-fit-149903/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-14-2013 09:05 AM

Does my (close contact) saddle fit her?

Ok I've had this saddle for a year or so now and love it. But since my mare has lost some weight recently (we're working on getting her back to her previous weight, but it's tough to do in the winter!), I wanted to re-evaluate to make sure it's not creating any pressure points right now. I have the Pessoa Gen-X Elita and it's got the changeable gullet system, so it's nice that I can always change and then go back to what worked before if need be.

So anyway, currently I believe I have the Medium-Wide gullet in there, and I do have a smaller one (Medium) as well as a wider one (Wide) in my tack trunk that I could use instead. This video shows what the saddle currently looks like, and I just am a little paranoid about two things...

1. I can only fit 2 fingers of clearance (and I have small hands by the way) and I believe the recommended clearance is 3.

2. The panels don't seem to be evenly sitting on her back, you'll see in the video the bottoms are not touching.

So anyway, thought I would toss the video up here for all the saddle fitting gurus on the forum to see and ask your advice. My first thought is that she now needs a more narrow gullet, but what do YOU think??

Saddlebag 01-14-2013 09:24 AM

The points of the saddle reach down about a hand's width from where the padding begins. Below that it is flexible leather and padding. So you only need to be concerned about the first 4 or 5". The angle looks good but I am concerned that it's hitting her withers a little further back.One way to find out is to dust the area with talcum powder or cornstarch and see if the saddle rubs it off after you've been in the saddle about 10 min.

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-14-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1843485)
The points of the saddle reach down about a hand's width from where the padding begins. Below that it is flexible leather and padding. So you only need to be concerned about the first 4 or 5". The angle looks good but I am concerned that it's hitting her withers a little further back.One way to find out is to dust the area with talcum powder or cornstarch and see if the saddle rubs it off after you've been in the saddle about 10 min.

Thanks for the feedback! I do always notice hair rubbed off on both sides under the saddle panels...but it's typically BEHIND the saddle, where the pad slides back and forth I guess? That's been an issue for years, no matter WHAT saddle I have used, so maybe it's just the way she moves or something (here's my old thread on that: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...horses-110929/). It's more noticeable in the wintertime because of her fuzzy coat (even though she's been body clipped once already this year and grew most of it back uggghhhh :lol:)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-14-2013 12:26 PM

And if it IS hitting her withers further back, what do you think would help that, a narrower gullet?

tinyliny 01-14-2013 12:47 PM

I completely agree with Saddlebag; it looks too close down onthe wither and could be rubbing . you have barely 1.5 fingers clearance wiht no rider in the saddle. weighted, it will be right down on the wither, I think.

If the gullet plates can narrow it without pinching at the top, it mightwork. I mean, narrow it without changing the angles of the bars. The angle is currently pretty good, IMO.

unclearthur 01-14-2013 01:13 PM

Close-contacts are such rubbish fits. Sorry, but they are.

PLEASE don't look at a narrower saddle - you definitely do NOT need a narrower gullet, despite what others here say. They're looking at the saddle instead of the horse.

I suspect you have that most common of problems, your horse falling in a little behind the shoulder. And with foam panel CCs being non-adjustable, flocking-wise, your best option with this saddle would be either to use
(i) A wither pad, probably between saddle and saddlecloth would work best. Provided it's correctly fitted so it sits over the hollow, not pulled forward so part of it sits over the back of the shoulderblade, it should provide enough 'lift' to support the correct tree width and give you some wither clearance. There's no correct dimension for that, by the way, just so long as you have 'some' clearance right the way along the spine.
(ii) A graduated pad or 'riser', thicker in front than rear. Again, this needs to be fitted so it sits behind the shoulder rather than pulled forward so the front of the saddleflap rests on it.

In all of this I've assumed your saddle gullet width is correct, ie. wide enough. It's difficult to see a shoulder angle in your video because it doesn't stay in one place for long enough. If you can I'd suggest you take a wither tracing and compare it with the front arch shape, bearing in mind for horses that hollow behind the shoulder you must look at the angles based on a straight line drawn between the downward curve at the top of the wither and external curve of the shoulder, rather than the angles in the hollows themselves. You're lucky with your saddle you can take the gullet out to compare angles.

Best of luck :)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-15-2013 01:47 PM

Anyone have any other opinions? Just trying to gather as many points of view as possible :) tonight I will be trying a slightly more narrow gullet to see how that looks and I will post a video of that one to compare to the above :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-15-2013 10:32 PM

Alright here's the comparison video, this is the Medium gullet. Definitely more wither clearance. (And don't mind my sticking the nearest object, a crop, under the saddle...was trying to create a frame of reference) :lol:

Saddle fit (medium gullet) - YouTube
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 01-16-2013 06:28 AM

Sorry but looking at your horse's shoulders that medium gullet appears too narrow. Wither clearance is only one fitting issue. And despite what Bates say their measurement gauge will often fit horses which fall in behind the shoulder with too narrow a gullet.

To check, girth up your saddle tight enough to mount, stand on the nearside and put your hand in the gullet under the pommel. Then slide the flat of your hand down the horse's shoulder under the front of the panel. You should feel firm pressure all the way down, but I suspect you will feel an increase as you reach the tree point and your hand may even be stopped. If so, the saddle's too tight.

Repeat on the off side - with big-shouldered horses one's usually tighter than the other unless the saddle's been flocked to compensate.

Clava 01-16-2013 06:34 AM

It looks the right width, but it is too low on the withers. I also do not like the curve of the panels at teh back which could allow the saddle to rock slightly. I would pad up as suggested.