The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-many-calories-burned-while-riding-149918/)

equestrianforever 01-14-2013 12:17 PM

How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up?
 
Okay so some of my friends say that riding is just sitting on a horse and not doing anything and that its not a sport. This makes me soooo mad because we do alottttt more than just sit on a horse! I just wanted to know about how many calories are burned while tacking and riding to prove that we actually do work when riding and doing chores.
It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes tacking up (depending on how dirty my horse is lol) then i walk for about 10 minutes, trot about 20, canter 15-20ish then i jump for like 15. Keep in mind that my horse isnt very trained XD. After that i untack him and bring him back to his paddock. I weigh about 110 lbs and am 5'7 and 15. Also i scoop poop and Im currently working with a pony >:) about an hour a day.

Eolith 01-14-2013 12:32 PM

Just show her (and all your other friends) this:


DancingArabian 01-14-2013 12:34 PM

Wear a heart rate monitor and find out what you personally burn.

Otherwise you can google exercise calculators that will tell you a guesstimate.
Posted via Mobile Device

jamesqf 01-14-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equestrianforever (Post 1843605)
Okay so some of my friends say that riding is just sitting on a horse and not doing anything and that its not a sport.

I hate to say this, but your friends could be right. It all depends on how you ride. For me (at my very much novice level) trail riding isn't really much exercise at all. 'Bout the only times my heart gets out of its resting rate are from sheer terror, as when my (vastly more experienced) riding partner decides to go up or down a 45 degree slope.

The only way to get a good answer for you is to check your pulse & breathing, or see if you are sweating on a cold day.

equestrianforever 01-14-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 1843623)
Just show her (and all your other friends) this:

So, you think equestrianism is easy? {The Re-Make} - YouTube

i love this video!

equestrianforever 01-14-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1843629)
Wear a heart rate monitor and find out what you personally burn.

Otherwise you can google exercise calculators that will tell you a guesstimate.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh okay thanks ill do that

equestrianforever 01-14-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 1843903)
I hate to say this, but your friends could be right. It all depends on how you ride. For me (at my very much novice level) trail riding isn't really much exercise at all. 'Bout the only times my heart gets out of its resting rate are from sheer terror, as when my (vastly more experienced) riding partner decides to go up or down a 45 degree slope.

The only way to get a good answer for you is to check your pulse & breathing, or see if you are sweating on a cold day.

Well i dont really just trail ride, some times i do but not very often. For me when i am jumping or when my horse starts to be stupid is when my heart gets out of its resting rate. I've gone up and down a 45 degree angle a couple times and it definetly is exciting lol

LeynaProof 01-14-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 1843623)
Just show her (and all your other friends) this:

So, you think equestrianism is easy? {The Re-Make} - YouTube

I love this video, but they forgot about Endurance. :D What about riding a horse 50 miles in 5 hours or 100 miles in 12 hours.

Saddlebag 01-14-2013 06:11 PM

Instead of taking offense, agree with them and tell them that's what you love about riding - the horse does all the work. That usually takes the wind out of their sails. A successful farmer poked gentle fun at my minister father that he only worked one day a week, and only an hour at that, doing the church service. My father got the farmer back saying that he worked only six days a year, three to put in the crops and three to take them off. In both cases nothing could be farther from the truth.

Celeste 01-16-2013 06:31 PM

You are 5'7" and weigh 110 pounds. Seems to me that you are burning plenty of calories. Geez. What more do they want? You need to eat more and quit worrying about what a bunch of fat lazy people think. Well except this fat lazy person. I think you are getting plenty of exercise.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0