The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   while on vacation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/while-vacation-149943/)

live to ride 01-14-2013 02:45 PM

while on vacation

what do you do with your horses? do you hire someone to check on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 01-14-2013 02:47 PM

What's a vacation?
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 01-14-2013 02:59 PM

^^ lmao

I've horse/dog/plant/cat-sat for manyyyyy people. Just make sure you find someone reliable. Write out EVERYTHING, owners, emergency contacts, odd habits, health conditions! One woman went so far as to make me a sheet of paper with all the horses photos on them. Bag any supps, leave vets name, label grain bags/containers. I usually do one run through with them then I re demonstrate back to them for the next feeding.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 01-14-2013 03:26 PM

We are lucky in that we have several folks living on our road who are all "horse folk" and who all look out for one another. We trade off in looking out for one another's places and animals during vacations, hospitalizations, etc.

JustDressageIt 01-14-2013 03:38 PM

I pay my trainer to work Ro on his regular schedule.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 01-14-2013 04:29 PM

My mom usually takes care of them, or my brother. We did run into a snag when my grandpa died and we all headed "home" for his funeral. There is a women down the road that is a beginner owner and I had her take care of them. She did really well for the week but I'm not sure she would know how to handle injuries or would notice sicknesses. My friends daugher is now driving so if anything like that happens again, I'll probably have her handle them. She's 17 but she has a lifetime of horse knowledge and I grew up with her mother who has been into horses for as many years as me so they'd be fine...

brittabam 01-14-2013 04:38 PM

Ask around your area if anyone can recommend a suitable sitter. I would only go with word of mouth vs. an add on craigslist.

mtngrl7500 01-14-2013 05:00 PM

The daughter of a friend comes by to check on our stuff. We usually have everything set up so that all she has to do is check water and maybe feed the chickens and cats.

Chardavej 01-14-2013 07:03 PM

The boarders are wonderful and feed for us. I still worry while gone though...

rookie 01-14-2013 09:06 PM

I agree with going by word of mouth and get references. We have had horrible pet sitters in the past. One of which let a horse fresh out of leg surgery out to pasture. Came home to a three legged lame horse, who turned out to have broken said leg and had to be euthanized. Sitter did not even call a vet. Which is horrible when you realize that she was pet sitting a vets horses. She was also a pony club member and had been riding for years. So, double check references and make sure you can sort of idiot proof your horse schedule and care.