The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Head "Tossing" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/head-tossing-149989/)

kac7700 01-14-2013 08:57 PM

Head "Tossing"

I'm seeing some behavior in my mare, I only can think of calling it head tossing. She doesn't do this while being ridden, only in the pasture and around other horses. She stretches her neck way out and arches it up in the air, essentially making a half circle with her head.

She does this when I take her halter off when I turn her out, but tonight I just went to check on her and when she was being a little pushy and in my space and told her to back off, she did it then too. I haven't worked her in a week due to the severe ice we have it's not safe to bring her down to the barn.

She just had her teeth done a month ago, seen the vet twice and the chiro once. We've ruled out pain issues, and when she does this I see the other horses do it too. She's turned out with some pretty "wild" horses that are never touched or worked with. I would move her, but until it's safe to move her without falling, it has to wait.

Any insight into this behavior is much appreciated.

poppy1356 01-14-2013 09:02 PM

Does it seem almost like she is snaking her head around? Like zig zag the whole head and neck around?

That is my mares pissy face. She does that when I am doing something she does not like. Or with other horses if they are pissing her off.

Freemare 01-14-2013 09:03 PM

Is she is a arab? If not I like to call it the arab head toss. Its more of a "I am feeling good thing" My arab does it all the time when he goes turned out. Some horses also like to do it as it feels good to stretch the muscles.

poppy1356 01-14-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freemare (Post 1844500)
Is she is a arab? If not I like to call it the arab head toss. Its more of a "I am feeling good thing" My arab does it all the time when he goes turned out. Some horses also like to do it as it feels good to stretch the muscles.

Mines an arab lol but she only ever does it to me if I am making her move her feet from the ground. Especially in the round pen.

kac7700 01-14-2013 09:06 PM

No, she's a pleasure bred quarter horse. And she seems to be cranky about something and not happy at all. I don't think I'd call it snaking. My gelding was in that pen when I first got him and he was snaking his head at those mares too. I think that herd is dysfunctional! She just does this big up and around with her head.

smrobs 01-14-2013 09:07 PM

Do you know how she was trained? I saw this a lot in a mule I recently rode that had been "bridled up" by a previous trainer. What he did was put her in a correction bit and tied the reins to the cinch between her front legs and left her for hours to teach her to "give to the bit"http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_4.gif.

kac7700 01-14-2013 09:13 PM

I do not know how she was trained...she is extremely hard to bridle, and super lazy unless you get her out of the road or trail then she's happy and calm and willing.

Deschutes 01-14-2013 11:00 PM

Chance "nods" his head at other horses when he's getting attention, also sometimes when I find that spot that's juuuuuust right.

Other times, when I've seen him do that sort of thing, its at the saddlebred mare he doesn't care for.

Silhouette 01-14-2013 11:08 PM

Every mare I've owned (all Arabs/Half-Arabs) have done this in the pasture. They tend to do it when they're bored, being impatient, or excited. I've never had it translate to under saddle work, though one of my current mares does it on the lunge line, too, when she's feeling exceptionally good :)

I've never had a gelding do it, so I just call it "that mare thing" lol

AlexS 01-15-2013 03:35 AM

She's just strutting her stuff, it's nothing to worry about.