The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   bare back riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/bare-back-riding-149995/)

Paula 01-14-2013 10:02 PM

bare back riding

I read that bare back riding too much can hurt your horses back after a while because in a saddle your weight is distributed more evenly on horses back. Well what if you were on a natural saddle like the ones on this web site Ride Naturally Using a Saddle from The Natural Ride Co. would this have the same effect as a regular saddle?

DixieKate 01-14-2013 10:25 PM

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a fancy saddle pad. Do treeless saddles distribute the weight similarly to a saddle with a tree?

Deschutes 01-14-2013 10:28 PM

Treeless use specialzed pads to distribute the weight more evenly, as I understand it.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 01-15-2013 07:55 AM

There are several threads but this one is pretty good.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...health-145556/

Bottom line is that bareback is only as good for the horse as the rider is balanced and how well the rider stays out of the horse's mouth.

Then there's "truth"; meaning the rider has to be 120% unbiased about the their true ability to sit a horse in a well-balanced way that doesn't do more harm than good:-)

jimgreene 09-12-2013 11:07 PM

the saddle itself adds weight, right?

Painted Horse 09-13-2013 10:13 AM

I've seen a number of gals who thought it was fun to ride bareback. And after 20 miles the horses didn't seem any worse for wear. The girls were usually ready to get off the horse.

I think we went 22 miles this day and these riders had done a ride on each two days prior. This gal wanted to ride like the Indians, leather leggings, mocs and bareback.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...dow-Horses.jpg

My daughter went thru a stage where she wanted to ride bareback everywhere. It lasted for a summer and she has never mentioned every wanting to try it again.

I think as far as the horse goes. How much you weigh is a big factor. A 100lb girl ridding bareback is a lot different than a 220 lbs man.

A neighbor has a bareback pad similar to the ones in your link. I see her out riding in the evenings with that. But she just does a few laps around the fields. Never any long tiring rides.

blue eyed pony 09-13-2013 12:33 PM

It depends on how you're built.

I'm very slender and my seatbones dig into my poor horse's back [and both of them are uncomfortable bareback] so I can't ride bareback for very long. When I had a VERY fat pony I could because he had more than enough "padding" for both of us!

Girls my size with more padding around the booty find it ok.

Mum is over twice my weight, and refuses to ride bareback because her center of gravity is high so it's harder for her to stay on. She likes to have something to grab onto if she has to. She's a good rider but doesn't bounce anymore and broke last time she fell off a horse. Her pony is very quiet BUT is still a breaker and last ride had a few goes at bucking and even a little rear. Do bear in mind these were so pathetic that while I was on bareback [I bounce!] it was absolutely not unseating at all.

A low CG is essential! I have NO chest but fairly wide hips and chunky thighs {proportional to my weight, or rather, lack thereof}, I'd say most of my 110 pounds is in the bottom half of my body.

I just figure if I can't sit on someone's lap for more than 10 minutes without causing them pain, I'm the wrong shape for lots of bareback.

Jolly Badger 09-13-2013 11:12 PM

I used to ride bareback on trail quite a lot. . .maybe six or seven years ago. I'd do a few hours at a time, up and down some decent sized hills and switchbacks and creeks. Great way to develop balance and muscles.

I still like to hop on for shorter stints. . .it's a great reminder of where some of those old muscle groups are that I haven't worked in a while.

(ouch)

tinyliny 09-13-2013 11:38 PM

Any bareback pad used with attached stirrups has the danger of slipping sideways. Looks like that pad thingy in your link might be more stable but only f you always also use tha chest strap.

TrailDustMelody 09-14-2013 04:21 AM

From what I've read, bareback pads with stirrups can make big pressure points over the horse's shoulders, since you don't have a tree to distribute the weight from the stirrups.

I ride bareback on the trail sometimes, though not usually for more than an hour. I'm pretty slender but my mare is super round and squishy, so we are ok. I have never noticed her develop back soreness. I like the Best Friends bareback pads...they add a bit of stick. :)