The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   7 y/o tb short striding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/7-y-o-tb-short-striding-149998/)

jaytee 01-14-2013 10:39 PM

7 y/o tb short striding

i have a 7 y/o ottb she is short striding very hard on her front right leg, when she walks, trots, pivots etc. the thing is me and the B.O. checked here up and down, both front legs and there is no sign of swelling, nothins to hot, no marks, scraps or cuts, i picked her feet, no rocks or ice. i have no idea what it is.
when she starts walking it is very defined, but after about 8 strides it gets better and better.

any ideas anyone

also when i turned her out after a thorough check out she tip toed a few strides in the snow and then took off in a full gallop to join her buddies around the bale, so how sore can it be?

if it helps we got 2 feet of snow here 2 days ago,

loosie 01-16-2013 03:53 AM

'Short striding' is otherwise known as lame. Doing it obviously at all paces is substantial lameness. I trust you're not riding or working her? With so little info, no pix, etc, could be anything. More info is needed if you want any specific opinions here.

Tho I suspect it's more than 'just' an abscess or bruise or such if it gets better when she's 'warmed up'. No offense meant, but unless you or your barn owner are a vet & have done rads, just because you've 'checked' her & found nothing doesn't mean anything. Also horses are stoic, instinctive animals, so just because she bolted for her mates after being locked up & separated from them doesn't mean she's fine.

How often/much do you lock her up? You mention she's better after turnout, so perhaps one thing this is telling you is not to lock her up - not great for horses so if it can be avoided, I'd do so. :wink:

How long has it been going on for? I'd be getting a good equine vet if it's been going on more than a week.

jaytee 01-16-2013 02:56 PM

I only noticed it on Monday evening when I went to the barn, friday when I left she was fine. U trust correctly that I didn't ride her or work her.
What more info?/pics do you need.
And I didn't lock her up, I just pulled her out of the pasture into the barn after I noticed it, left her in the barn for a hour or so to warm up and eat oats (which is when we checked her) and turned her out (u are right we are not vets, just like a good majority of the people on here) I didn't return last night due to prior commitments but the barn owner said he would check on her and contact me if it got worse. Which he didn't.
The only history I can give about her is that sometimes when we bring her in from pasture she is stocked up, but after a short lunge sessions she is fine, I assumed it was from her standing at the round bale all day gorging herself on hay.
Plz let me know what more u need ie info pics and such and I can provide you with some tonight
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1846621)
'Short striding' is otherwise known as lame. Doing it obviously at all paces is substantial lameness. I trust you're not riding or working her? With so little info, no pix, etc, could be anything. More info is needed if you want any specific opinions here.

Tho I suspect it's more than 'just' an abscess or bruise or such if it gets better when she's 'warmed up'. No offense meant, but unless you or your barn owner are a vet & have done rads, just because you've 'checked' her & found nothing doesn't mean anything. Also horses are stoic, instinctive animals, so just because she bolted for her mates after being locked up & separated from them doesn't mean she's fine.

How often/much do you lock her up? You mention she's better after turnout, so perhaps one thing this is telling you is not to lock her up - not great for horses so if it can be avoided, I'd do so. :wink:

How long has it been going on for? I'd be getting a good equine vet if it's been going on more than a week.

Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-16-2013 03:19 PM

It could be an abcess forming. The cushioning effect of the snow could make it less painfull when she moves. With an abcess the lameness will get worse before it resolves itself. Some blow out the thin skin just about the coronet band. You should have the vet or farrier put hoof testers to her in case it's something else. if she is stocking up her diet may be too rich for what she is doing.

loosie 01-16-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaytee (Post 1847273)
What more info?/pics do you need.
And I didn't lock her up, I just pulled her out of the pasture into the barn after I noticed it, left her in the barn for a hour or so to warm up and eat oats (which is when we checked her) and turned her out (u are right we are not vets, just like a good majority of the people on here)

Me included not a vet:wink: & even if I was, I wouldn't be willing to suppose anything definite over the net anyway. But more info on management, etc(as you've given some already) and vid of her moving, pix of hoof if you sus that's a poss prob(see link in my signature below) would help us give you a better idea at least.

Why do you feed her oats? How much/often do you feed them? What else do you feed? What nutritional supps does she get? It's possible diet/nutrition are a contributing factor.

Quote:

The only history I can give about her is that sometimes when we bring her in from pasture she is stocked up, but after a short lunge sessions she is fine, I assumed it was from her standing at the round bale all day gorging herself on hay.
Have you spoken to a vet about that? Horses often 'stock up' when confined without enough movement, but I'd be concerned if it was happening when she was out at pasture. It's possible it's just happening because she's standing for extended periods gorging at a round bale though. Does she have company in her paddock? If not, I'd change that if at all possible. I'd also block her access to the round bale and instead feed it out to her in small piles spaced as far apart as poss. Other measures, such as putting her on a track setup, will also motivate more movement, but I'd be wanting to rule out other reasons for her lack of movement first.