The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   walk and trot pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/walk-trot-pics-150000/)

apachewhitesox 01-15-2013 12:08 AM

walk and trot pics

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I haven't put any pictures up for ages and since I only get lessons every now and then, I only have myself to ride with.

I am hoping I have improved and I know I still have a lot of room for improvement. I have been trying to focus on not leaning forward and keeping my legs under me. I noticed after looking at these pictures that I really need to focus on not pointing my toes out and I have to try to stretch my heels down though I have great difficulty getting them down more then what they are these pictures.

Thanks for any critique on my horse and myself. :D

apachewhitesox 01-15-2013 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have this picture I was playing with and I can't get rid of the lines. :?

iamanequestrian 01-15-2013 03:08 PM

Okay, I only have a few things to say. 1) Adorable horse!! I haven't seen your earlier pictures, and I understand where you are coming from. I had to ride on my own for years when I first started. I can't say much about your feet only becuase you don't have proper riding boots on. You should try paddock boots. A good brand would be Dublin, but it depends on your foot and what fits best. Like an original instructor..shoulders back and arch your back some more, just don't get rigid. Try to relax and just ride. I would try to collect your horse up a little more and put your hands up further on the horses neck or "put your hands up". A martingale may be something to look into. In a couple pics you were looking down. I almost want to say try bringing your sturrips up, but I could be wrong. By pics I cannot see your movement, but keep in mind that your elbows can point outward and opened up a bit and I don't know about wrist becuase again, I cannot see. Could you try posting a video? And, It's okay for your toes to be pointed outward a little, just not a lot. I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps! Just some things to keep in mind while riding. Keep up the hard work! Good luck! Thank you. :)

lovestruck 01-15-2013 03:22 PM

In the first two pictures, your leg almost looks too far back. Were you kicking him to go forward? The lines you drew on the last pictures indicate that you have a decent idea of how your heel, hip and shoulder should line up. Your shoulders look slightlyyy tipped forward, so some ab work to keep your posture up might help with that. Hands could be a little higher and forward. You also need a shorter rein. You want to have a feel of the horses mouth so that you can get proper collection and so that you are in constant "communication" with him. Obviously, you don't want to be pulling, but having your reins too loose also leaves the horse out of the conversation. I can't tell from the pics but are you sitting the trot or posting? If you're doing a rising trot in these pictures, your bum is too heavy in the saddle. You need to soften your seat a bit.

apachewhitesox 01-15-2013 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies and the the compliment to Sammy.

My boots are ariats can't remember the actual type and you can ride in them, that is part of the reason I bought them. I have to constantly remind myself while riding roll your shoulders back. I also have actually moved my stirrups down a hole since these pictures, and that seems to be helping since that last ride.

Yes in the first 2 pictures I was trying to emphasize a point to him so leg is a bit further back then normal. Also this horse used to be really unbalanced and rush and brace on the reins. I have been ridng with no contact for months and I am only just reintroducing contact. I think in one of the above pictures I had a slight loop in my reins is where I was riding no contact but I had the reins short enough in case something happened. I think I was posting in all of those pictures.

Thanks again :D

Snizard93 01-15-2013 06:19 PM

Sorry if I say something that's already been mentioned (I havn't read previous comments :shock: )

In some of the pictures your leg looks too far backwards, is that because you were pushing him on? Or was it just in that position? To secure the lower leg I would first suggest lengthening your stirrups a little because at the moment you are perching on your horse rather than sitting deep into your saddle. Once you have a longer stirrup it will be easier for the weight to flow through the leg and into the heel. You shouldn't really have to force the heel down, it should happen naturally. I'm not 100% but the way that your lower leg seems to move a lot suggests that you are pivoting on your knee, tensing it and fixing it against the saddle. I do this sometimes so I know how hard it is to break! You really need to get your knee off the saddle, totally relax it and allow the weight to flow through it. That way you will be able to wrap the lower leg around your horses, securing your lower leg and keeping the heel down.

To get the toes in, grab the back of your thigh and pull it out and away from the saddle. This sets the whole leg in the right place and therefore the toe will not be forwards. Also, a good thing to do is lift your legs to the top of the saddle and as you let them back down again, really pull them away from the horse and aim for the hocks of the horse. That will allign the leg properly too.

In some of the pictures you look like you are putting too much weight on your pubic bone. The weight should be distributed over 3 points, the seatbones and the pubic bone. Really think about rolling backwards so you have equal weight on all 3, I have to really focus on it to get it right. This will help stop the shoulders rolling forwards, and therefore keep you more back and upright.

Of course, with all this uprightness and trying so hard, you MUST relax. If you become tense you have no chance of becoming long and soft in the leg, and secure.

Your hands also could do with some correcting. Carry them slightly higher, although you have a good elbow and forearm line, your hands drop and slightly turn in. Lift them and have the thumbs up to the sky and this will give you a better contact and put them in the correct position.

I am training to be an instructor so this is good for me :D

apachewhitesox 01-15-2013 10:21 PM

Yes I did have my leg further back on purpose it hadn't just slipped back if anything when I ride my leg swings forward usually. I also did let my stirrups down and have found that has helped.

I do also have a bad habit of turning my thumbs in instead of up, especially when I am carrying a whip.

Thanks for the tips :D

tinyliny 01-15-2013 11:29 PM

I do see improvement. your position is much more stable than before. From this place you will be better able to reestablish contact with Sammy AND keep his impulsion coming through!

Great comments everyone.

apachewhitesox 01-15-2013 11:35 PM

Thanks I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees improvement. :D

Deschutes 01-17-2013 02:53 AM

I didn't read all the comments but I saew in my scrolling that you put your stirrups lower, which was what I was going to comment on. : p

I like that you look where you are going, but I would probably lift your head a smidge so its not quite so tucked.

Before you get on, you might benefit doing some loosening exercises. My first instructor had me do this in saddle, and my current has the team doing this on the ground. We roll our arms in small, gradually larger circles. Then the opposite. Then we roll out legs (hard to do in a saddle!), ankles, and head.

When rising, imagine that you have an imaginary string holding you upwards in your head. From there, you want your shoulder and foot to be in line. Its been a while since I've worked on my own posturing so I'm a wee foggy on the exact details. ><