The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   I don't want another horse yet... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/i-dont-want-another-horse-yet-150009/)

blue eyed pony 01-15-2013 02:13 AM

I don't want another horse yet...

...so tell me EVERY reason why I should NOT buy this one! Magic's not even gone yet, it would be way too soon, but I just keep on going back to his photo. I've had my eye on him for weeks.

3 year old 16.1hh TB gelding, off the track, retired sound just too slow.
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...02937822_n.jpg

What I notice is that he has VERY long cannons, is downhill [but might grow out of that yet], and his neck is not set on very well. Pasterns are a bit thin and at initial glance a tad long, but match the cannon length. Can't tell much about angles from the photo. But the rest of him - his type - his supposed temperament - I really like.

Price is more than I can pay, but negotiable, so it might be possible to push them down to within budget.

edit; oops wrong one.

RacingAustralia 01-15-2013 04:04 AM

Every reason why you shouldn't get that horse? Well I'm not sure where to start.
You struggle to afford two
Struggle to work with the horse you have correctly (and blame your poor riding on him being a nutter on certain day)
Despite what you think you do not have the experience to retrain a horse off the track
Horses have suffered under your care but that's seemingly ok because it's all a learning experience for you.

Please please please do not get this horse. I couldn't bare to watch another one be ruined or worse.... Put down.

Leilani 01-15-2013 07:36 AM

Where to start.......

You always complain about how much they cost and can barely afford the ones you have.
You are no where near experienced enough to handle an off the track horse let alone a 3 year old.
You do not have the facilities to train a 3 year old.
You do not have the means to put the time and training into a 3 year old
You do not have the patience for a 3 year old OTTTB.
You do not have the funds if something goes wrong with the horse. Even if it just requires X-rays.
3 year thoroughbreds rarely retire from being too slow...... They go to kalgoorlie, esperence, broome, port hedland.
What if the horse requires shoeing? You don't like shoes!
What if the horse requires expensive feed? You hate that.
What if the horse needs to go on a course of ulcergard? And be shod. And need extra feeding? And X-rays? And of course don't forget a new bridle or saddle fitting and then of course you'll need lessons too.

Perhaps you should just concentrate on the one you have. Get through a whole year of competing and lessons first.

If you did get this one...... What's going to be wrong with it?
If you can't afford a set of X-rays so you have to pts a horse.... Then perhaps you should rethink having horses........

themacpack 01-15-2013 08:55 AM

While I do agree with both the above 100%, not sure it's worth the waste of breath since you will, undoubtedly, go right ahead and do whatever you please anyway.

Elana 01-15-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Magic's not even gone yet
STOP. Please.

lovestruck 01-15-2013 02:49 PM

I've now retrained several OTTB's with the help of my trainer.

Despite years of lessons, shows and experience with all types of horses, I would NEVER EVER take on an OTTB without the help of my trainer, who has been in the horse world for 30+ years and was shortlisted to the Olympics!! I know I'm not nearly experienced enough to go at it on my own and it's simply not fair to the horse!

Reading through some of your old posts, you sound overwhelmed by your current horse. Also, you mention that your personality is exuberant and it doesn't work with your sensitive horse. Don't you think this will once again be a problem in an OTTB, as they are known to be hot and sensitive????

Do this horse a favour and let someone more knowledgeable take it on...you've complained about euthing 2 horses (or planning to for the 2nd one) in a year...why possibly add a 3rd??

Kilokitty 01-15-2013 03:30 PM

Woah, woah, wait. You've euthed one horse, are thinking about euthing another, and you just go ahead right away to look at another experiment for you? Please girl, stop. Sell your current horses or give them away, get a nice, older lesson horse for YOU to learn on. Once you know enough and actually have a good financial stepping stone then you may get this horse and not ruin it, please. You don't need to keep getting these young OTTB thoroughbreds for yourself.

lovestruck 01-15-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilokitty (Post 1845634)
Woah, woah, wait. You've euthed one horse, are thinking about euthing another, and you just go ahead right away to look at another experiment for you? Please girl, stop. Sell your current horses or give them away, get a nice, older lesson horse for YOU to learn on. Once you know enough and actually have a good financial stepping stone then you may get this horse and not ruin it, please. You don't need to keep getting these young OTTB thoroughbreds for yourself.

She HAS an older lesson horse! A perfectly lovely 17 yr old gelding! Which is why I further don't understand this sudden need to acquire every problem horse (she has made posts before asking people's opinions on an new "prospect" she'd like to buy...most are similar to this guy i.e. untrained and too difficult to handle!) in her area!

Casey02 01-15-2013 03:42 PM

Woah baby did I miss something here

Corporal 01-15-2013 04:03 PM

...does it mean anything that the economy is tanking, and that you may not be able to pay for all of those pretty horse shoes for everyone?

Don't know what to say, except, lookin' is for free--buyin' is gonna cost ya.