The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   What do I need to look for? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/what-do-i-need-look-150111/)

mtngrl7500 01-15-2013 10:46 PM

What do I need to look for?

Okay, in the next year or two I'm hoping to purchase an endurance prospect. I definitely want an Arabian...that's my breed and what I want to stick with. As far as breeding, what lines do I need to look at as potential prospects? In individuals, what physical qualities should I look for?

I've always enjoyed distance riding, but I have never had a horse worthy of doing anything competitively. Now that I no longer work I would like to really get into it and find a horse that I can do well on. I would appreciate any and all input because I have no idea what to look for!

DancingArabian 01-15-2013 11:25 PM

You can google "endurance Arabians" and find ram he's that specialize in them. Rush Creek is the ranch I've heard of the most.
Posted via Mobile Device

HappyHoofPrints 01-16-2013 12:24 AM

Check out Perserverance Endurance Horses; 7 characteristics of a great endurance horse.
Very interesting and well put together site. Lots of wonderful competition horses ridden no shoes or bits!
Old desert bloodlines and the confirmation and temperments I love to be with every day !!

jillybean19 01-16-2013 01:29 AM

There was an interesting thread started on the endurance.net google group about what to look for in an endurance horse - the conclusion is that it's really all about the personality and willingness to go, and other than that, you'd be surprised what pops up in the top rankings and placings! Many people I know took horses from bad situations and they often ended up being the best endurance horses. Of course, Arabians have some physical advantages, but it's all about the attitude and willingness of that horse to cover miles of trails!

Eolith 01-16-2013 11:54 AM

One of these days I really hope to get a horse I can do some endurance type things with too. If I'm lucky, I might be able to convince one of our Kiger Mustangs that it's fun to get out and keep going and going and going.

mls 01-16-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean19 (Post 1846504)
There was an interesting thread started on the endurance.net google group about what to look for in an endurance horse - the conclusion is that it's really all about the personality and willingness to go, and other than that, you'd be surprised what pops up in the top rankings and placings! Many people I know took horses from bad situations and they often ended up being the best endurance horses. Of course, Arabians have some physical advantages, but it's all about the attitude and willingness of that horse to cover miles of trails!

Absolutely true. Just because a horse is bred and built to do a specific discipline does not mean they will excel or even enjoy doing it. I competed thousands of miles on a 14.2 black quarter horse. He did very well. My little 100% arab mare - too excitable to settle in to the vets checks.

There was one horse in our club that the vets were amazed the horse was pasture sound, much less able to handle the rigors of distance. They swore her legs were put together by a committee that didn't communicate.

The biggest thing is the relationship between you and that horse. You have to trust and depend on each other. Lots of miles and lots of potential 'situations'.

mtngrl7500 01-16-2013 12:33 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely check out the suggested sites and get started on some research. Years ago, when I was younger and had the time for distance riding, I had a heayy Raffles bred Arabian and he did really well, but he was pretty slow compared to others. I told the hubby that with my next horse I want one that not only can handle the long rides but will make better time as well.

I live in an area where there aren't many distance riders, and Arabians aren't in abundance either. I know that I'll have to be on the lookout for something via internet so I'm prepared to look slowly. I just want to know what to look for so that I can make an educated purchase when it does happen.

LeynaProof 01-16-2013 01:15 PM

There is not really a certain line that does well. As long as they don't have horrible conformation they can do it. I have had several different lines do very well in Endurance.

HappyHoofPrints 01-16-2013 09:42 PM

Look for active endurance Arabian competeing and breeding farms. Check out Mooibegin Farms at DinkelmannArabians.com to give you some ideas. They are located south of Atlanta here in Georgia. Attend some rides and maybe look for some barns you have found to see the horses in person doing their thing!! Then, you would also have a "built-in-networking-family" for moral support if you do acquire a horse/baby from them. Good Luck and enjoy your search.

phantomhorse13 01-17-2013 05:24 PM

Up this way, Cre-Run Farm (VA) and Asgard Arabians (WV) are known for producing really nice endurance horses (from racing-type bloodlines).