The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Horse Needs Joint Help - What Do You Recommend? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/horse-needs-joint-help-what-do-150163/)

Corazon Lock 01-16-2013 02:23 PM

Horse Needs Joint Help - What Do You Recommend?

I just bought a horse, Casper, that is going to need some help with his joints. He's getting a bone spur in his right front fetlock, and there's a little (nothing bad) wear on his hocks. He's 11 and has been used as a hunter/jumper horse. I plan on continuing this use. He just had a joint injection for his fetlock, the first one, this past December. He is almost 100% sound on it now. There has been little to no change in the joint in the past two years.

I want to manage these problems. What kind of supplements should I give a try? And what else can I do to manage this and keep him as comfortable as I can?

Saranda 01-17-2013 05:16 AM

Apple cider vinegar, turmeric and ginger are good, natural choices for supplementing joints.

I mix the vinegar with water to make it a bit milder and give my boy a cup per day of this solution. As for turmeric and ginger - I give these ground, about 1-3 teaspoons a day with his grains. However, his issues were more minor than those of your horse, but these things surely won't harm. Just don't overdo the vinegar if your horse is prone to ulcers.

OneFastHorse 01-17-2013 08:08 PM

Get him on adequan now.

If he's been injected (joints), then he will continue to require them. The time he can go between injections will depend on the severity of his issue(s) and how hard he is worked and what he is doing. (Example: light trail riding would be less stressful on him physically than jumping).

I would also get him on oral msm. It is cheap and has proven anti inflammatory properties.

I wouldn't waste my money on other oral joint supplements for this horse. Tho they may have some positive effects, he already has damage and the oral supplements are not proven to help. Once there is already damage occurring, then you need to go to something such as adequan and/or joint injections to maintain the animal. Oral supplements will only help so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corazon Lock 01-17-2013 11:09 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I won't be using him heavily - I have two or three shows I plan on attending this summer, and I have lessons once or twice a week that are half flatwork half jumping.

I bought this horse because he has a sweet, willing personality and is fabulous jumping. He knows the ropes, and he makes me look great. That mattered more to me than having to do some upkeep, at least now while I'm in college and don't have a lot of time to do major training.

OneFastHorse 01-17-2013 11:15 PM

Keep up on it now and you should have a sound partner for a long time.

I would also suggest yearly xrays to make sure he is not having drastic deterioration. Stay on top of things. :)

stevenson 01-17-2013 11:17 PM

condrotion .. cosequin type

Trinity3205 01-17-2013 11:32 PM

Liquid cortaflex with HA. My results, even on very crippled horses, have been stellar.

CLaPorte432 01-17-2013 11:45 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Look into Pentosan. Its similar to Adequan, but much cheaper. Ive had absolutely stellar results with it. And it doesnt break my bank. Also MSM is good too.
Posted via Mobile Device

OneFastHorse 01-18-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1849491)
Look into Pentosan. Its similar to Adequan, but much cheaper. Ive had absolutely stellar results with it. And it doesnt break my bank. Also MSM is good too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was trying to remember the name of that stuff. Thanks.

Trinity3205 01-18-2013 10:34 AM

IME, MSM did nothing. Luckily its cheap to try