The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   trying out a new horse (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/trying-out-new-horse-150171/)

Ninjarider 01-16-2013 03:06 PM

trying out a new horse

i will be trying out this horse soon

Cheshire Horse | 1731 - 14.2HH GREY GELDING PART SHARE/LEASE

i am quite an experienced rider (walk, trot, canter showjumping 3'3 , dressage and x country), but have never really tried a horse out before because my previous leases i haven't really wanted anything particular and have been given them by friends what things should do to test him ?

Annanoel 01-16-2013 04:25 PM

Well I'd just put him through the paces, basically anything you can think of. W/T/C, yielding, stops, other cues. Also, before you ride take him through groundwork, pick his feet, brush him just everything. THEN if you decide to lease make sure he is sound and healthy just to make sure you don't have a horse you can't ride, but pay and lease.

When I look at a horse I ask the owner to leave them in the field or pasture and do not warm them up before. That way from start to finish you should have a very good idea of what you're getting. YOU get him from the field, YOU work with him, YOU tack him up and so on. Most of the time if owners don't allow you to do this, it's a huge red flag and most likely covering up something. Don't feel stupid asking questions about the horse either. (:

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

jaydee 01-16-2013 05:17 PM

I also like to see a horse being caught but as a lot of sellers want to show off a perfectly groomed horse for the first viewing this can sometimes mean going back a second time to do this if you are still interested
You should run your hands all over the horse and look for signs of it disliking anything and also pick all its feet up.
I want to see the horse being tacked up
The seller should have someone ride the horse first and put it through all its paces so you can watch for any signs of lameness, hesitation, bad behaviour etc
I want to be able to get on it without feeling that someone is holding it still and then do everything with it that I intend to do - and if I was wanting to trail ride I would insist on being taken out to see how it behaves - including riding it away from and back to the barn on its own if I was going to have to ride on my own
If I like a horse I will have a PPE done and on that occasion I will also ride the horse again and have it blood tested for any medication - pain or sedatives
Ask to see it loaded on a trailer and if you are intending to clip it - how it reacts to clippers
No horse is ever going to score a perfect 10 so you have to make up your mind what faults you feel you can realistically deal with and not be tempted to talk yourself into anything you aren't comfortable with

jaydee 01-16-2013 05:21 PM

Just to add - as this horse is a share you must consider that the actual owner might not like to let you feel that it is actually part yours - especially as its on their yard - I have seen situations like this go badly wrong and the person in your position constantly being moaned at for not riding as well as the owner etc - too much dictating about what you can and cant do
Maybe you would find a full loan would work better for you?

MyBoyPuck 01-18-2013 09:10 PM

Before you get on, be sure to ask the seller if he bucks, rears, spins, spooks, etc. They might be offended but better to ask than to end up on the ground only to hear the seller say after the fact "he does that sometimes" I stopped counting how many times people disclosed little things like that after the fact.

I agree with running your hand all over his body to check for soreness and letting the seller ride first. Watch for red lights such as them not cantering him because he's supposedly a little out of shape or other such nonsense. If the horse is already hot and sweaty when you get there, just go back home. Unfortunately you have to approach this stuff very synically. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Ninjarider 01-19-2013 11:09 AM

it didnt work out because i was talking to my friend (who rides) and as i described him her face dropped, i asked why and she said she had had this horse on loan and the owner was horrid , she had been kicked off 3 yards for taking others stuff, my friend got told off every 2 seconds the owner insisted to be there whenever she did anything with him and when her mum asked about his insurance he said he had insurance but when my friend asked to go some where with him the owner said he 'weren't insured for that' this happened a couple of times with different situations that insurance would usually cover so her mum asked again and the owner FINALLY admited he weren't insured.....

safe to say im not even going to see him