The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Custom- made saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/custom-made-saddle-150184/)

horsecrazygirl13 01-16-2013 05:29 PM

Custom- made saddle

new 15" barrel/trail saddle for sale in Hennepin, Minnesota :: HorseClicks
I found this saddle on horse clicks. Is it good?

LeahKathleen 01-16-2013 06:07 PM

Leather looks cheap, and I don't see a maker's mark on the Latigo holder. It doesn't look used, so I'm betting the seller never used it because it's not of good quality.

I would never pay $450 for it.

horsecrazygirl13 01-16-2013 06:31 PM

What about this one?
Nice Saddle Set (Start riding today) for sale in Le sueur, Minnesota :: HorseClicks

LeahKathleen 01-16-2013 06:48 PM

Mm, that one looks better, but I don't recognize the brand Triple C. I would need better pictures. Honestly, I would go look at anything I am considering buying in person. It is so easy to make a terrible western saddle look and sound higher quality than it is.

I wouldn't pay $500 for it regardless.

Phly 01-16-2013 06:51 PM

I just looked on CL in MN. Found a good handful of good saddles under $400
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 01-16-2013 08:18 PM

Triple C Saddles are about 600.00 when brand new, so used worth about 300.00-350.00 they are American Made, so you are on the correct path.

Brand New Leather Saddles under 500.00 are going to be Junk 99% of the time.

This site may help for finding out about opinions of what others think of Saddles they own Horse Tack Review.com - Reviews of horse tack and rider supplies!

Saddlebag 01-16-2013 10:21 PM

The term custom made can refer to just having strings added to D rings. There is no way a modestly used custom saddle will sell for under $2000. I don't care for either saddle. Some manufacturers will wrap the horse of a roping look saddle to fool the customer. These saddles invariably don't have a tree that would stand up to roping. And why the high dally horn - it would like snap off. Always ask what the tree is made of. Some sellers do mix up a Ralide tree for a fiberglass so you need to learn the diff. You don't want fiberglass, fiberglass reinforcing a wood tree is excellent, just not fiberglass.

SouthernTrails 01-16-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1847862)
The term custom made can refer to just having strings added to D rings. There is no way a modestly used custom saddle will sell for under $2000. I don't care for either saddle. Some manufacturers will wrap the horse of a roping look saddle to fool the customer. These saddles invariably don't have a tree that would stand up to roping. And why the high dally horn - it would like snap off. Always ask what the tree is made of. Some sellers do mix up a Ralide tree for a fiberglass so you need to learn the diff. You don't want fiberglass, fiberglass reinforcing a wood tree is excellent, just not fiberglass.

The bad thing is it seems half of the Cheapo Imports are now advertising as Custom Made..... yup Custom Made on the Banks of the Ganges River in India out Water Buffalo hide :wink:

horsecrazygirl13 01-17-2013 10:06 PM

Buffalo Western Saddles
Are these any better? At least they say what the tree is made of.
And this one?American Saddlery Western SaddlesI cant seem to find any good used saddles near where I live.

Phly 01-17-2013 10:17 PM

I've seen some American saddlery saddles in person. Seemed to be decent saddles.
Posted via Mobile Device