The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bitless bridle or sidepull?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bitless-bridle-sidepull-150200/)

averyxhorses 01-16-2013 07:47 PM

Bitless bridle or sidepull??

Hi guys! so, my horse really doesn't like bits, and neither do i, so i've been riding him in the Dr.Cook bitless bridle. Although he stops wayyy better, he really doesn't like to turn in it. I've never tried a side pull (on him anyways) so would using a sidepull benefit turning better? I love my bitless bridle and so does my horse, but if he's not going to only listen to my leg (which he does somewhat) i need to get him turning better. thanks!

EthanQ 01-16-2013 08:07 PM

The equivalent to a sidepull would be snapping the reins to the cheek rings of a nylon halter. Try that and see how he works before you buy a sidepull.

averyxhorses 01-16-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanQ (Post 1847641)
The equivalent to a sidepull would be snapping the reins to the cheek rings of a nylon halter. Try that and see how he works before you buy a sidepull.

i actually already have a sidepull but it's at my friends barn so i couldn't try it out so that's why i asked... i've ridden in a regular nylon halter before and it works ok, but, i was thinking that since rope halters give you more control on the ground, if it would give that extra control over a nylon halter but under a bridle (if you get what i'm saying)

LValentina 01-17-2013 04:42 PM

The sidepull that I ride in, and the ones that i've seen, have a rawhide noseband. I wrap mine in vet-wrap to lessen the "bite" of the rawhide, but my horse is certainly more responsive to this than he would be in a nylon halter. He has jaw issues, and ultimately can't be ridden in a bit. I think it is an excellent bitless option - I feel as if I have control, check, pressure, release, etc.

I've never ridden in a bitless bridle, but I went with a sidepull because I didn't like the fact that bitless bridles tightens around their facial structure when pressure is applied. I know tons of people who love their bitless bridles but since my horse has those jaw issues, he would shy away from pressure on his jaw.