The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Adding LQ to a Bumper Pull (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/adding-lq-bumper-pull-150237/)

Annanoel 01-17-2013 12:57 AM

Adding LQ to a Bumper Pull

1 Attachment(s)
Okay all this may be long, but I do need some advice. I now have my VERY OWN horse trailer. It's a four horse stock and I'm going to be using it the next few years till I'm out of college and can get set on a new one. Would be obviously for transporting the horses in and sleeping on trail rides. It's in great shape and I couldn't ask for a better deal on it.

NOW what I want to do is to add living quarters to it. I am thinking the best thing to do would be to add a permanent wall or slant. Would need to be sheeted on both sides though we would be insulating the inside. In the nose we would have a bed with storage underneath and above. We will be insulating around the nose and walls as well, then adding a faux floor on top of the mats for easy removal if needed. Would also like to add girly touches eventually.

To be frank I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done this? The MOST we'd ever be hauling in this trailer is two FULL size horses and one PONY. Never more than that at this point. I attached a picture with some measurements and also a picture of what the trailer generally looks like.

Other ideas and suggestions would be great! Thanks all.
:D

http://www.horseclicks.com/img/adpho...hoto_1_img.jpg

Phly 01-17-2013 01:21 AM

I'm adding a tack room to the front of our stock trailer. It's similar to yours. Picture this if you can, I'm building a wall that runs from the rear or latch side of the escape door to the beginning of the nose (where the slats stop). I'm welding in angle uprights and mounting the lumber for the wall to that. So if you'd open the side/escape door that be tack area wall to your left angling to your right/front of trailer. You could do something similar and just push the wall back more. I hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Drifting 01-17-2013 08:21 AM

My friend has a stock trailer and goes camping in the front portion. What she did was get plexi-glass sheets and cut them to fit along the inside so she could make temporary walls to help keep out the cold. It's not a permanent situation but it was more comfortable then sleeping in it without anything at all (i should know, I slept in the back part on a cot after shoveling and sweeping it clean Lol)

Annanoel 01-17-2013 09:28 AM

Yeah, that's what we've been doing! It gets cold here for our later trail rides and I may not wake up with functioning toes if I do it too much more. Thanks Phly and Drifting! Our main concern was how to build the wall. We don't necessarily want to bolt support beams through the trailer walls, but we were thinking welding would hold up well. Our pony likes to stand against the nose, so we're assuming she's going to lean right on the slant. It may not be too much room for "LQ" but at least it'll be somewhere warm to sleep..

churumbeque 01-17-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annanoel (Post 1848409)
Yeah, that's what we've been doing! It gets cold here for our later trail rides and I may not wake up with functioning toes if I do it too much more. Thanks Phly and Drifting! Our main concern was how to build the wall. We don't necessarily want to bolt support beams through the trailer walls, but we were thinking welding would hold up well. Our pony likes to stand against the nose, so we're assuming she's going to lean right on the slant. It may not be too much room for "LQ" but at least it'll be somewhere warm to sleep..

Most of the cold will come from beneath the trailer so that should be insulated also. Seems like alot of work and money and I don't think it will ever function the way you want it to. I would just have a cot and proper sleeping bag and not camp when it's too cold

Annanoel 01-17-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1848597)
Most of the cold will come from beneath the trailer so that should be insulated also. Seems like alot of work and money and I don't think it will ever function the way you want it to. I would just have a cot and proper sleeping bag and not camp when it's too cold

We live in Wisconsin so we camp year round, the cold just happens. Shouldn't be too hard the BF is really handy and we can get most of the supplies for cost, his father is a builder and floor installer. I think we're going to try it anyways and see what we can do! Thanks for the input though.

Stay at home mommy 01-17-2013 02:35 PM

When doing something like this, make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. I had a friend who added a tack room and the weight of the trailer was not distributed properly. Three horses were loaded in the trailer, including mine, she got ten minutes down the road and it jack-knifed. Horses all came out fine, only a small puncture wound right above my guys eye. Sad thing is it was done by a professional she paid!

Annanoel 01-17-2013 02:42 PM

That's the only thing that worries me...

We plan to have the wall welded, and or installed by a professional. We actually have a "dealer" type location here that professionally installs living quarters and slants into trailers. We're supplying the insulation and materials then they will install which is good. The area won't be too big so it shouldn't distort the weight too much I would think.

dbhrsmn 01-17-2013 02:59 PM

It would make me nervous to eliminate that much space at the front of the trailer. It will shift the weight when horses are loaded. if you shift the weight to the back it will lift your tow vehicle's bumper and cause the trailer to fish tail. Your trailer needs to have more than 50% of its weight in front of the axles to tow safely. one training that I took said you should have as high as 80% in front of the axles.
As a bumper pull trailer it was designed with its axles in the best place to balance the weight with horses in it.

Chevaux 01-17-2013 03:05 PM

Hi Annonel. Congrats on the trailer - darn fine things to have around. Might I ask what you're pulling it with? If it's a truck, might it be a better option to buy a 'shell' (or whatever the proper name is for them) and put it on the truck and work from there. I've done that in the past for camping out and while not fancy it provided good shelter for us and our stuff.