The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Equipment on a budget? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/equipment-budget-150279/)

TheBayArab 01-17-2013 02:50 PM

Equipment on a budget?

So I have been riding my whole life but I recently took a year break and my family thought we were done with horses for good (the economy had gone downhill and we had to send the horses away, plus the barn burned down) but I have started back up again now. Problem is, we sold all my things!!! We still don't have a ton of money. I kept my charles owen helmet, thank god. We have saddles, but none that fit my horse. For now we are using my trainer's western saddle which is big on him and once he is trained up more he will be meant for jumping for the most part.

My main problem at hand is finding good muck boots. We held on to some tall show boots and some shorter lesson boots, which is good. But this new barn I am going to has extreme mud that I work with the colt in. I need ones that are very versatile, waterproof and tall enough so that I don't get mud on my legs (at least a good height above the ankles), they need to have toe protection in case my toes get stepped on, and preferably OK to ride in. It is a lot to ask, I know. I am just wondering if any of you guys know anything like that for sale anywhere? The cheapest I can find is $80.

Anyways, besides that, are any of you on a riding budget? Do you know any tricks?

JaphyJaphy 01-17-2013 03:21 PM

What about regular old steel-toe rubber boots? I'm not sure about prices where you are, but I can't see them being too expensive, especially if you could find some used ones. I can't remember how much mine were (I tend to stick to regular rubber boots anyway, which were $15 new), somewhere in the $60 range (new). Remember, anything marketed with horse owners in mind is always going to be more expensive!

WickedNag 01-17-2013 03:36 PM

I buy lots of used stuff. I just bought my daughter almost new tall ariat boots (worn 2x) shipped for $100 including their boot bags. Watch for deals and don't get in a hurry. Welcome back to the world of horses :)

Wallaby 01-17-2013 04:26 PM

I have "The Original Muck Boot" muck boots.
They're fantastic.
I think they were around $80 new but they've already lasted me 2 years which has nearly made up their cost in rubber boots. Previously I had been going through rubber boots about one pair every 3-4 months (I only really wore them October-April/May so about 2 pairs per year) and at $20/set of rubber boots, problem solved!

They probably aren't "the best" to ride in due to their tread and I have heard that if you have bigger feet, they might make your feet too wide for most stirrups, but I haven't had either issue. I can ride in them happily and get my feet out of the stirrups really easily. They need next to no care and bottom line, I'm a fan. :)

TheBayArab 01-17-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 1849060)
I have "The Original Muck Boot" muck boots.
They're fantastic.
I think they were around $80 new but they've already lasted me 2 years which has nearly made up their cost in rubber boots. Previously I had been going through rubber boots about one pair every 3-4 months (I only really wore them October-April/May so about 2 pairs per year) and at $20/set of rubber boots, problem solved!

They probably aren't "the best" to ride in due to their tread and I have heard that if you have bigger feet, they might make your feet too wide for most stirrups, but I haven't had either issue. I can ride in them happily and get my feet out of the stirrups really easily. They need next to no care and bottom line, I'm a fan. :)

Sounds great! Do you know where to get those? I also found these Mudruckers® Tall Boot | Dover Saddlery which are probably decent

equiniphile 01-17-2013 05:00 PM

I LOVE the Original Muck Boot Co boots. I've had mine for two years now and they've held up extremely well. I hunt in them, clean stalls in them...

I won't ride in them because they're so big and likely to get stuck in the stirrups, so that's something to consider.

Wallaby, I also went through rubber boots like crazy before buying these. Every few months I had to replace them because they never stayed waterproof and kept falling apart.

stevenson 01-17-2013 05:27 PM

love my muck boots . the tops rolls down so it is easy to get over pant legs. I had to get the mens size . they come in diff heights and sometimes you can find them on sale at tractor supply or in online catalogs

countercanter 01-25-2013 06:41 PM

Check out HorseLoverZ I have found some amazing deals. I made out like a bandit last time I ordered stuff from there. Its dangerous.

DancingArabian 01-25-2013 06:56 PM

Walmart sells steel Todd rubber boots for under $30. Not ideal but it will do until you save up for nicer ones if you so choose.
Posted via Mobile Device