The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do you look for in a sales ad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-look-sales-ad-150327/)

TheRoundPen 01-17-2013 11:44 PM

What do you look for in a sales ad?

7 Attachment(s)
Besides a nicely groomed horse and proper spelling (my two big things) what do you look for in an ad? I think the basic 4 conformation shots to at least have available to email along with information about last farrier/vet/deworming information. Anything else I'm missing?

I've put a few horses for sale, one was a yearling so I didn't really post the conformation shots instead having them ready to send out. The other ones I did have a side conformation shot posted. Just curious what you all think :)

GamingGrrl 01-18-2013 12:01 AM

I like seeing a picture of the horse being ridden in the style or event that they are trained in. It's not a necessary thing for me, but I really enjoy seeing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseTrance 01-18-2013 12:43 AM

I enjoy reading about their personality honestly. Make sure they have good habits or good with kids, or are loveable, ect. Something connected to emotion.

Phly 01-18-2013 12:50 AM

Up to date photos. I found a grade horse online that sounded good, only had one very non flattering photo that was obviously not recent (it's winter and photo was from summer) so I asked for a recent picture and all the sudden the owner lost all contact. Hmmmm lol. Too many times I've seen photos where all's good and well but then in person the horse is under weight or worse. It's an annoying waste of time. And honesty would be great in an ad!
Posted via Mobile Device

TheRoundPen 01-18-2013 01:03 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys :) I should have also put honesty from the seller, haha. That is a huge one too.

stingerscricket 01-18-2013 01:11 AM

I like when the seller puts multiple pictures of the horse being ridden (if broke) as well as conformation shots, and a lengthy description of the horse with height, age, reg name, pedigree, personality, training etc. That shows to me that they really seem to know this horse and are more honest if they have all the facts down. Doesn't always hold true, but definitely intrigues me more than an ad that just says "10 year old AQHA mare 15hh call 123.456.7890"

DimSum 01-18-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1849502)
I like seeing a picture of the horse being ridden in the style or event that they are trained in. It's not a necessary thing for me, but I really enjoy seeing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

To me it is a necessary thing-that way I can also see what tack the horse is being ridden in. For instance, if a horse is advertised as husband safe but being ridden in a cranked tie down and a shanked bit looking wild eyed I'll take a pass :-)

Silhouette 01-18-2013 11:31 AM

Honesty. Don't tell me a horse is a "champion," but then when I go to look at the results, the only time the horse won that title was when he was in a class by himself. I WILL stalk a horse online if I'm interested. I'll look up pedigree, show record, show proofs, videos, etc. Nothing can be hidden from me ;)

Pictures, I just need a decent one. It can be a nice head shot, confo shot, under saddle, whatever. I want SOMETHING to look at. If a horse doesn't have a picture, I ignore the ad.

I'm not big on the four square conformation pictures, honestly. I want a video. I want to see the horse moving, no slow mo, etc. If the horse is a riding horse, I want to see it under saddle with no training tack on it (aka it needs to look like it would when you were showing it).

I've bought three horses off of videos and limited (but GOOD) pictures, and all three are great. No complaints from me.

beau159 01-18-2013 11:40 AM

I want at least one good conformation photo from the side, and one from the front or back. I want a riding photo (if the horse is broke to ride). And if possible, it is nice to see a video of the horse being ridden and handled. And yes, I want these things to be recent.

I don't mind in an ad if it says "Email or contact for photos" because when I sell a horse, I always have a zillion photos and videos -- too many to post in an ad.

I also like complete sentences, and details about the "quirks" of the horse. I also want the seller to be honest and list any vices or bad habits I need to think about.

If they are registered, I want the bloodlines.

And of course, I want the age and height of the horse. A lot of people seem to leave that out.

and I like to have the barn name of the horse. It shows personality I think .

BlueSpark 01-18-2013 11:46 AM

I want ;
1)very few spelling/grammar mistakes

2)good pictures. with the add I like to see a photo of the horse being used in its chosen disapline and a photo of it standing reasonably square with no tack. any aditional photos should be flattering, well groomed and reinforce the information in the add. I hate the adds with photos of the horse standing uneven, its legs cut off, an odd angle, ears pinned back etc.

3) important information, enough to get me interested, but not praddling on about "duffy doesnt like apples but does like carrots, is indifferent when it comes to peppermint, althought she will eat it if the other horses do..." blah, blah, blah. I dont want to spend an hour picking through pointless information on an add 10 paragraphs long. Included in this would be writing about every horse on the papers acomplishments and every show the horse has ever been to.

4)back up info. I think if someone wants to sell, they should have a set of conformation photos and the ability(at very least) to take a video.