The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Possible Buy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/possible-buy-150330/)

JumpingJiminy 01-18-2013 12:14 AM

Possible Buy?

What do you think about this boy?

Gorgeous Paint Horse Gelding for Sale!!! - $700 (Granby, CO)

My friend is looking into him and from what I can tell he looks like a pretty decent horse. She would be training him to eventually be a hunter/jumper. Not very high though.

Phly 01-18-2013 01:22 AM

I'd look into him. Money is a bit much, but a starting point. I'm not a jumper though so I don't know on that end of things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tryst 01-18-2013 02:30 PM

Could be just the angle, but he looks very fine boned with tiny feet for his rather large body. Pastern length and angle looks ok. None of these photos are ideal for an eval, but he appears to have a fairly upright shoulder and I am not a fan of how his neck ties in to his withers. Back is a decent length and seems like he has an ok loin. Hindquarters look overall somewhat weak and poorly developed.

And although the ad says UTD on worming, he looks wormy too me, or maybe just a hay belly? I guess if he is close to you he might be worth a look, but I don't find his conformation to be ideal for jumping, except perhaps at low levels. His temperament doesn't sound too good either, but if your friend is looking for a project and just a low level horse I guess he is worth a look if she enjoys working with difficult horses.

Joe4d 01-18-2013 02:35 PM

legs look to small for his body, looks way to chunky for a jumper, Used to looking a taller leaner TB's in my neck of the woods.

Tryst 01-18-2013 02:44 PM

I think this horse looks more promising and is overall more balanced and sound looking. And although not broke she sounds to have a better temperament. --> 2002 AQHA sorrel mare - $350

http://images.craigslist.org/3K33I93...4308b81834.jpg

Elana 01-18-2013 08:55 PM

That photo of the chestnut does nothing for the horse.. but I see some nice quality there. Nice horse.

jasperemily0511 01-22-2013 08:07 PM

If it was me id say no.

SnowCowgirl 01-22-2013 08:18 PM

oh my god horses are SO cheap down there!!! wow...

Misty'sGirl 01-23-2013 08:09 PM

He's also probably not a paint... it says what makes him "paint" is a tiny spot of white on his belly. They mean pinto, whereas paint is a breed. Not that its very relevant, but worth noting.

CallaHorse 01-24-2013 06:49 PM

Chestnut Wins, Hands Down

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 1850270)
I think this horse looks more promising and is overall more balanced and sound looking. And although not broke she sounds to have a better temperament. --> 2002 AQHA sorrel mare - $350

http://images.craigslist.org/3K33I93...4308b81834.jpg

The paint has a potbelly, too fine legs, small feet, an ewe-neck and I am not too sure about his hindquarters, although I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's the shape (they seem to have decent muscling) or the way the tie into the loin. Not that the potbelly couldn't be fixed with conditioning, but of greater concern with respect to jumping are the very fine legs, small feet and the long-ish, weak loin. Add that to his difficult temperament... Not incredibly promising.

I agree wholeheartedly with Tryst that this chestnut mare is a better looking horse and more promising than the paint. This mare has a shorter, stronger loin, stronger, more rounded-out hindquarters, nice shoulder, elegant neck that's neither too high nor too low and ties in better to the shoulder/withers, stronger-looking legs with better-proportioned feet. She is also already nice and trim so you won't have to burn weight off her. The only thing I can see "wrong" with her is that her coat needs some elbow grease. :) But as far as jumping, I especially love her hindquarters and loin, I think she could do really well. Yes you would have to finish her training, but she seems to have a good, willing temperament according to the ad (but who knows...). I don't know anything about QH bloodlines (her parents are listed in the ad), but she seems to have good genes from looking at her!