The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My OTTB rears when being mounted (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-ottb-rears-when-being-mounted-150368/)

MickeysMama 01-18-2013 11:27 AM

My OTTB rears when being mounted
 
I have a 9 yr old OTTB who has been off the track since 2008. She is a pretty easy going mare but is a little high strung. I have only owned her for just under 2 months and she has been at the new barn about a month. I have been lungeing her daily and I ride her a few days a week. She reared the first time I got on her after I moved her, I pushed her forward and our session My sister rides as well and is there with me everyday of training. My horse has reared on her 3 times (does it every time my sister mounts). She did it to my husband as well. I will reiterate that SHE DID IT TO ME ONE TIME AND STANDS FINE WHEN I MOUNT HER!! I have checked her back and she is showing no signs of soreness. I have also checked saddle fit and seems fine. I think if it was saddle fit or soreness she would do it all the time not just everyone but me. Does anyone have any helpful hints to try to figure out the issue? I have trained horses but never had an issue like this before. I love that she is great for me but I also want others to be able to ride her.

TheAQHAGirl 01-18-2013 11:29 AM

Possibly more ground work.

You just got her a couple months ago, she has no idea who you are and what to do. Try gaining some trust and respect. Be patient and understanding.

Did she just come straight from the track when you got her?
(Whoop, just saw that she was off the track in 2008)

Did her previous owners do anything to her after she was off the track?

Golden Horse 01-18-2013 11:31 AM

Rearing issues to me are not something to get internet advice on, the only safe advice I can give you is

GET A TRAINER INVOLVED NOW

Yes I am shouting, and I make no apologies about it. Rearing is the most dangerous issue to deal with, and you need someone with the experience and knowledge to deal with this, and you need it NOW.

No one here can see what is happening, diagnose what is happening, or give you the skill and split second timing to deal with this, so PLEASE get some hands on help before somebody gets hurt.

MickeysMama 01-18-2013 11:43 AM

I have been riding since I was five yrs old and have trained numerous horses. I have never had this issue before. SHE DOES NOT REAR WHEN I MOUNT HER!!

MissColors 01-18-2013 11:44 AM

The horse I've really known to rear at mounting had a kidney infection. You might want to get the vet out to do a urine sample. She might also be pregnant. I've heard of other horses doing that.

Could also be your bit. One of the boarders at the barn. His horse rears because of the bit he uses(he just doesn't realize it).

The possibilities can be endless. Best bet is to get checked out by a vet and then to get involved with a trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

MickeysMama 01-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1850004)
Possibly more ground work.

You just got her a couple months ago, she has no idea who you are and what to do. Try gaining some trust and respect. Be patient and understanding.

Did she just come straight from the track when you got her?
(Whoop, just saw that she was off the track in 2008)

Did her previous owners do anything to her after she was off the track?

The previous owners did some work with her except the one who I bought her from had not worked her in a few months due to falling off when she reared. She does not rear on me.

I spoke with the woman who rode her before the woman I bought her from and she said that Mickey had not had this issue before.

themacpack 01-18-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeysMama (Post 1850024)
The previous owners did some work with her except the one who I bought her from had not worked her in a few months due to falling off when she reared. She does not rear on me.

I spoke with the woman who rode her before the woman I bought her from and she said that Mickey had not had this issue before.

So this horse has a history of rearing..........?

MickeysMama 01-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissColors (Post 1850022)
The horse I've really known to rear at mounting had a kidney infection. You might want to get the vet out to do a urine sample. She might also be pregnant. I've heard of other horses doing that.

Could also be your bit. One of the boarders at the barn. His horse rears because of the bit he uses(he just doesn't realize it).

The possibilities can be endless. Best bet is to get checked out by a vet and then to get involved with a trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickey is healthy and sound. Not pregnant either lol. The bit was changed to a less harsher one than the twisted snaffle I got with her, she now has a regular snaffle and seems to like it.

MickeysMama 01-18-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1850025)
So this horse has a history of rearing..........?

She did it ONCE with the woman I bought her from and had NO HISTORY of it before than. She did it to me once I pushed her forward and she has not done it since. The issue seems to be if anyone else gets on her. My sister is just as experienced as I am but Mickey rears on her every time. I have to hold her whenever anyone else gets on her and today she snapped the bridle. It does not seem like she is scared or doing it to be mean.

NBEventer 01-18-2013 11:52 AM

Are people mounting from the ground? Or maybe they are landing to heavy in the saddle when they mount? OTTBs are VERY sensitive horses. You have to lightly sit into the saddle. If you just jump up and land on their backs they will rear.

Also is she in season? Her ovaries might be sensitive.

The only way you will truly know is to have a trainer. But rearing 9 times out of 10 is a sign of pain. I suspect their is kidney or ovary pain. You say she is healthy. Has a vet done a complete work up on her? Because there are things a vet will see that you would never see.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0