The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   This is a little ridiculous (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/little-ridiculous-150390/)

busysmurf 01-18-2013 03:27 PM

This is a little ridiculous

Went to daughters first horse & pony 4-h meeting last night (yeah, I didn't miss those, lol). Anyway, they were going thru the handbook and a few things....surprised me.

These are for when at 4-H H&P events:
1. no shorts will be worn when around a horse. This includes leading, bathing, cleaning stalls, etc.
~ granted I rarely wear shorts anyway, but it can get insanely hot/humid around here in the summer. At the fair when kids are on barn duty, they must stay by the stalls and there's not really any great source of ventilation so it gets HOT in the barns. So not only do the kids get hot, but the horses as well.

2. fans are not to be hung on the stalls, this includes outside of the stall.
~ refer to my comment for #1

3. shirts must have sleeves. Tank tops and cap sleeves are not acceptable.
~ I don't know about you but I ride in tank tops 99% of the time in the summer. I'm not looking forward to treating J for heat stroke every time we go.

4. parents are not allowed to assint 4-H member in any way (that hasn't exactly changed, just the extent of it has. Parents used to be able to help saddle, load in the trailer, be a brush box before they go in the ring, etc. mainly for the younger kids, once we all go to be about 13 most of the stuff we could do on our own. They were just never allowed to ride or school a horse directly.).
~ to a point I understand this one. However, J only reaches midway to Odie's shoulder, there's no way she can put the saddle on herself or has the strength to. Not to mention tightening the girth. She's 9 and 5' he's 16.1hh and 1100 lbs, she's just learning and he's a big boy. If she needs my help, I WILL STEP IN and not just in an emergency. If it means me tightening the girth so she doesn't fall off, than so be it. It doesn't mean I'm going to braid, bathe, etc for her, but I will be RIGHT there until she's ready to handle it on her own.

5. First year members are required to attend x number open arenas (little clinics).
~That's fine, but one of the instructors of a required open arena and I DO NOT get along (loooonnngggg story). I don't want my J learning her methods, period. If J can go to just get used to the arena and the instructor leaves her alone, fine.

6. Familys are REQUIRED to bid / purchase items at the potluck fund-raiser.
~ I will be more than willing to donate as much time and help out where I can, but I'm not made out of $$.

I was in this exact project for 12 years, a lot of us have come back with our kids, but there's a lot of "new" people. US "old crew" all agreed, we don't like where/what it's seem to become:cry: I was honestly hoping I could just slide back in, guess not.

OK, rant over...I think

HorseMom1025 01-18-2013 03:42 PM

Interesting. We're enrolled in a 4h horse club in our area and have not received anything like that. In fact, my daughter rarely participates because they don't have much to offer besides a show or two each year. My biggest gripe about her 4h club is the lack of any kind of curriculum or classes. They have a horse bowl team and a vet science program, but they are not welcoming to younger members and its not the reason we joined.
Posted via Mobile Device

busysmurf 01-18-2013 03:47 PM

Oh, there's plenty going on, LOL. When I was in it we were the largest (enrollment) in the state).

But we used to have clinics on health, farrier, safety, confirmation, how to get your horse ready for a show, etc. Those are all gone. We used to have a fall & spring 4 day camp-out, now it's down to 1 night.

Hang on Fi 01-18-2013 03:56 PM

You can probably thank the teenie boppers with their butt cheeks hanging out of their shorts or lady parts hanging out of their tanks for the clothes restrictions ;)

However, requiring you purchase at the Pot Luck, really? That's insane.

Tigo 01-18-2013 05:31 PM

I don't have kids but I used to be in Pony Club...I quit because of more than one reason. However, last summer a young girl (11y/o) was leasing my pony and took him to pony club regionals here after being out of it for a number of years and I was ASTOUNDED at some of the rules they laid out. I thought the whole idea of pony club/4-H was to teach kids safe ways of handling horses and so on...I couldn't wrap my head around the parents not being allowed help to tack/assist where the kids have difficulties because of age or whatnot. Like your daughter OP, this girl isn't even 5' tall and no WAY could get a saddle on my pony, yet her parents can't help? Isn't it a little unsafe to turn loose a bunch of children in a barn with horses and tell the parents they can't help? (Unsafe for the kids and the horses I think!) /end mini rant

I think that its a little crazy that they require you to purchase stuff at a fund raiser and the fans/clothes rule is a little over the top like you said... I'll agree with it being a little ridiculous!! If I ever have kids, the chances of them being in pony club/4-H are slim to none.

equiniphile 01-18-2013 07:09 PM

With regard to the no assistance rule.....

We have the same rule at Pony Club rallies. The idea is that older kids will help out those that are young and just learning. Is it possible that they want the older, more experienced kids to help out?

Most of the other rules seem quite ridiculous, but if they had problems in the past with kids dressing inappropriatey, I can see where they're coming from.
Posted via Mobile Device

~*~anebel~*~ 01-18-2013 07:17 PM

Lol can you tell the PC parents around here about this "no assistance" rule?!?!

Last time I judged a PC show one girl had the wrong test, so I rang her off course, gave my test book with the correct test to her reader and offered to let her restart, no penalties. Within 30 seconds of correcting the whole thing I had her crazy mother screaming at me. When I got the crazy lady away from the judges booth, the girl did a very respectable test and got a decent score.
But of course at the end of the day (and probably after doing 3-4 other dressage tests, and a jumping class or two) I had the same tired kid and now grouchy pony show up and do the same test over, for a score 10% or more lower.

Chalk me up as another "not a PC/4H fan".

MHFoundation Quarters 01-18-2013 07:45 PM

I judge quite a few 4-H shows & fairs. The difference in clubs varies sooooo much.

I can see the clothing rules, some of the stuff I see kids wearing these days makes that one a bit understandable but to not be able to wear shorts to bathe?

Most clubs have rules about assisting the kids. Some allow older members to help, even allow them as spotters for in hand classes for the youngest kids. There are also plenty of clubs that turn a blind eye to help and have breed level & open/pro trainers schooling horses before plopping the kid on and shoving them in the show pen. (A big personal pet peeve)

The fan thing would irk me badly. It's bad enough they have to be stalled for a week (most clubs here don't allow horses to be trailered in, they have to stay all week) during the hottest part of the year but to be without fans? Ridiculous. I have students that show in several counties (I don't judge in any of them of course) and all of them allow fans, have even seen misters set up by some clubs - kids and horses alike take advantage of them.

They require you to buy things? Don't they have club dues? That doesn't seem right at all.

peppersgirl 01-18-2013 11:52 PM

I remember when I was in 4-h.. I had Lacer boots that I had worn for the WHOLE season without an issue...Until one show.. they wouldn't let me ride until I found some slip ons.. eh hem.. IRRIGATION BOOTS with some nasty bulky tread(barely fit in my stirrups).. cause ya know, those were a safer alternative..

Some 4-h clubs are just dumb..

busysmurf 01-19-2013 12:23 AM

Well I found out the exact reason for the no tank top rule, 2 yrs ago 2 very well endowed twins wore barely there tanks to everything & occasionally things would "pop" out. Go figure one spoiled it for all.

Like I said w/ the parent help thing, I can somewhat understand, and I'm sure some of the reasoning is so the older ones help the younger ones, but in our club the oldest is 12 & not that experienced. So our group doesn't have direct access to any older kids for help.

The fan thing came about for 2 reasons. 1. One of the "I'm better than all of you crowd" took having fans to an extreme one year & had cords everywhere & people were tripping. 2. Another time was because a parent was convinced a stall fan 2 stalls down was the reason her kids horse was freaking out. It didn't have anything to do with the fact the pasture boarded horse had been in a stall for the last 4 days, was only worked b4 a class, & over 500 spectators had walked thru the barns....

I'm hoping I don't regret putting her in this project. I just really hate that overwhelming urge to pull some peoples heads out of their posteriors
Posted via Mobile Device