The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Rope Sizes and Brands? (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/rope-sizes-brands-150407/)

barrelracer11 01-18-2013 07:41 PM

Rope Sizes and Brands?

I am just getting into calf roping so I don't much! I went to buy a rope and realized their are different sizes. I will be in the senior division at high school rodeos. Not sure if that makes a difference. But what size do I need? Also what brand should I get? Thanks!

Phly 01-18-2013 08:30 PM

The options are endless ain't they? A lot depends on you. How it feels to you, what works for one may be useless in the hands of another. I'd buy a few used ropes and try different lays and stiffness. Also temp plays a big factor in ropes. I'd liken mine to a frozen garden hose this time of year but it's fairly supple above say 75*
Posted via Mobile Device

AmazinCaucasian 02-11-2013 10:59 PM

Well you're gonna want to find you a poly if you're calf ropin, they're sized different than nylon. If I remember right, polys come in 3 main sizes, 9.5, 10.5, and 11.5?? Anyway, try out some friend's ropes and see what size works. And if you're female in NHSRA you'll be breakaway roping

SlowZippen14 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

I have always had luck with the Relentless weapon in a 10.5 xs.

boots 03-23-2013 11:50 PM

I live near King Ropes, so I'm a bit partial. They are just top-notch ropes. Check out their site. It's fun to go there and try several types.
King?s Saddlery, King Ropes | Sheridan, Wyoming

I always recommend borrowing when wanting to try new gear.

Personally I go with a 3/8" scant at 40' for general roping for doctoring. Soft to extra soft. One of my best friends and favorite guys to doctor with uses extra, extra soft lay ropes at 7/16". He says it's as easy as tossing a t-shirt at the cow.

Arena ropers seem to like at least a medium lay, in my experience. Different needs.