The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My old man won't stop jumping! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-old-man-wont-stop-jumping-15041/)

Angilina 09-22-2008 05:06 AM

My old man won't stop jumping!

I have one mare I'm trying to teach to jump, and an old guy I'm trying to keep from it. Beau is a 18-20 year old grade Anglo Arab. He used to race, and won some great ribbons and awards in eventing. He jumped 3'+ in the ring, but I've seen him jump a 4 1/2' fence like it were nothing. He likes to jump just a little too much. I have to keep his paddock as clean as a nursery, no fallen sticks or logs more than 1/2" in diametre can be in there or he will jump them until he gets too exhausted to do it. The guy has a full 5 acres to go on, but he will jump that until he is too tired to do it any more. Unlike my other mare, he doesn't do it because it's fun to him, he simply thinks it's his job. He choked two or three years ago and it has taken him this long to be lightly rideable again because he kept working all this weight off. He gets almost a full bucket of Triple Crown Senior watered down (because of choking) every day, plus corn oil and alfalfa, and we still get calls from people telling us we don't feed that one horse enough! Even though we have 7 others we are trying to work weight off of because they have grass bellies :roll:

He only has half an acre of hardwoods, and we can't move his paddock because he's the babysitter for the broodmares. Any suggestions on how to get him to chill? Can't stall him because he flips out if he's not with his mares and loses 15lbs in a day from stress. His energy isn't the problem either. He will keep jumping until he is going, head down, exhausted, and I have to force him to stop. I can't get on him to try to work with him that way because he is still a little too underweight for a rider.

Thanks so much!

SonnyWimps 09-22-2008 08:34 AM

sounds to me like it's an old habit that you probably will never fix. If he's jumping on his own in a pasture there's really nothing that I can think of to stop him...other than removing ANY object that is jumpable.
I'm sure someone else may have some ideas.

You might also want to try some of the rollable treat dispensers to keep him occupied in the field. Possibly getting a jolly ball and different play things.

Angilina 09-22-2008 09:38 AM

Yeah, I actually tried a jolly ball AND a treat thingy. He wouldn't touch either, but the little filly in his pasture had a lovely time with them. Thanks for the input!

G and K's Mom 09-22-2008 11:57 AM

Strange...... if he can have hay what about throwing a round bale out in the field to keep him busy, or does he choke on dry hay?

What is it exactly that he's jumping? A fence?

My2Geldings 09-22-2008 01:08 PM

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are explaining. If I am understanding what you are saying, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of it.

Angilina 09-22-2008 03:23 PM

My camera was (surprisingly) stepped on by my big fat QH mare, so it's been out of commission for about a year.

He has a big round bale, but that doesn't help.

He jumps everything. Not so much the fence anymore since I put him out with my broodmares, but for all I know he could do that and jump back in at night. He only ever does it when he thinks people aren't around, because he knows I will go halter him and make him stop.

G and K's Mom 09-22-2008 03:33 PM

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be dense, but what's everything? What sort of things are in the field?