The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique an older horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-older-horse-150448/)

Kilokitty 01-19-2013 01:02 PM

Critique an older horse?

1 Attachment(s)
Kid, a 14 year old unregistered QH. This was taken while lining them up for a trim, so his hooves are pretty well-grown. Kid's currently being used as a learning horse for me to perfect everything and as my niece's beginner horse.

existentialpony 01-20-2013 12:17 AM

Disclaimer: I'm not great at conformations, but I'm learning! :)

Here's what I think I see. At first glance, what stands out is that he seems sickle-hocked, and I don't like how short his pasterns are. His feet also seem small for his size.

Looking at the rest of him, he seems a tad downhill in build with a steep-ish shoulder. I also wish he had more muscling on his hindquarters, as they do not seem proportionate to his body for a QH. There is something about his neck too, but I don't know enough to say what--probably muscling.

I do have a question for others who look at this photo-- why is it that some horses (such as this sweet boy) have ball-looking fetlocks? Does that have to do with his short pasterns/being a QH?

Lins 01-20-2013 12:35 AM

Are you sure he's 14? He has an aged looking body.
Posted via Mobile Device

GamingGrrl 01-20-2013 12:55 AM

I agree that he looks much older than 14. I wouldn't even consider 14 "older" either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kilokitty 01-20-2013 04:57 PM

Vet says he's somewhere between 14 and 16. Checked the teeth, too.

Horsecents1997 01-20-2013 05:20 PM

I think some muscle would really help him :)

Kilokitty 01-20-2013 07:34 PM

I would love to use him more, but yesterday he got a large cut on his hind leg and is very lame, so unfortunately he's out of use 'till it heals :(

stevenson 01-20-2013 08:47 PM

he looks older than 16 to me. by his body I would judge him 20ish, but then again , he could have been used hard , which does age them.
He is not standing square so its hard to tell about his hind legs. he needs a better trim, no heels. he needs a few more groceries , he is not bad overall, looks like a sturdy horse. his has kinda large joints but then again he could be a tad arthritic, which does change some of the muscling etc.

MangoRoX87 01-20-2013 09:53 PM

He looks closer to my mare Rosie at 22, when she came back from a bad leasing experience..

Kilokitty 01-20-2013 09:55 PM

Yeah, I only got him March, I've no history from his last owner. He's well-behaved and acts like he knows a few good things.