The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Scabby Sore on Vixen (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/scabby-sore-vixen-150449/)

haleigh 01-19-2013 01:13 PM

Scabby Sore on Vixen

Vixen is a 9 month old Tennessee Walk. Before I got her, she was never worked with, never handled, never even came within 10 feet of a human. When we weaned her, she has changed completely. She's my baby, and trusts me. Well, last week i finally got her halter trained, and this week i was introducing her to brushing. I used the curry comb and i noticed this patch of scabby skin on her. The scabs come off with ease, and the skin itself is soft (i know probably not suppose to touch it). I go out there every day to brush her, but i steer clear of the scab. I do push the hair back to look at it. It doesnt seem to bother her. She has no hair in this area. what could it be. I gave the brushes a bleach bath after i used them the first time and ran over the scabby sore area.

themacpack 01-19-2013 01:27 PM

Where is the patch of skin located? Do you have any photos of the area?

haleigh 01-19-2013 01:31 PM

It's on her back. vixensore | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Schulzs89 01-21-2013 01:09 PM

Is she out with any other horses?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 01-21-2013 01:17 PM

My immediate thought was an infection of some sort. It looks quite similar to one that one of my mares had in her girth area. I took her into the vet clinic and they took a biospy from the area. It showed nothing particular other than some nondescript bacteria. I treated it with a topical antibiotic and it went away. However, it may well be something with a little more punch such as a fungus infection. If it doesn't look like it's clearing up on its own, you probably want to have a chat and/or visit with your vet. Good luck.