The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   A Good Snaffle with leverage? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/good-snaffle-leverage-150456/)

Lopin N Paint 01-19-2013 03:03 PM

A Good Snaffle with leverage?

I'm looking for a mild bit, a snaffle with some leverage.

We do mostly western pleasure type work. My goal is for a soft all around horse, and we are doing well, but need to take that next step.

I was looking at this bit but I'm open to all suggestions.

AVB-122- Professional's Choice Bob Avila Training Shank Straight Roller Bit

Joe4d 01-19-2013 03:23 PM

snaffles dont have leverage. thats what makes em a snaffle. some of the things they call snaffles are just wrong. Not a fan of leverage bits with broken mouth pieces, Ala the tomb thumb. search "tomb thumb" on this websight and read up, youll see what I mean. as far as a GP western bit, I use one of these, with the second one being my top choice.
SS Curb Bit with Med Port - Horse.com
Western AT Low Port Loose Cheek Bit - Horse.com

Golden Horse 01-19-2013 03:30 PM

This is going to be a first..I agree with Joe, Snaffle has no leverage, that's what makes it a snaffle.

LeahKathleen 01-19-2013 03:31 PM

I think it's a common misconception that any bit with a broken mouth piece is a snaffle, but that's simply inaccurate. Snaffles do not have leverage.

Lopin N Paint 01-19-2013 03:50 PM

Thanks for the correction.
And thanks for the suggestion so far...

I now understand true snaffles have no leverage.

Moving on now...

I really prefer something with a sweet iron or at least copper mouth piece.

Any other suggestions for something mild? Or is Joe4D's suggestion really the best out there?

LeahKathleen 01-19-2013 03:55 PM

I guess what we're confused about is what you're asking for -- are you asking for a bit with leverage, regardless of the mouth piece, or are you specifically wanting a leverage bit with a broken mouth piece?

natisha 01-19-2013 03:58 PM

Western AT Low Port Loose Cheek Bit - Horse.com

I use this one that Joe suggested. It's a very mild curb.

Lopin N Paint 01-19-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahKathleen (Post 1851640)
I guess what we're confused about is what you're asking for -- are you asking for a bit with leverage, regardless of the mouth piece, or are you specifically wanting a leverage bit with a broken mouth piece?

I'm looking for a mild transition bit for a horse that works well in the Dee Ring but I'm wanting some leverage. Looking to get the same results I get from my Dee Ring but with asking less.

Horse is going on 11 years old. Was a well school 2 year old, aimed at Western Pleasure until about 6 but had limited amateur work after he was sold as a 2 year old, got passed around a lot, and ended up to me. I started riding him about 3 years ago, This past year I bought him and I've been putting a lot of miles on him this past year and he tuned up pretty nice.

I'm looking for something so come warm weather after we ride in the Dee Ring a while I'll have something else to 'mix in' to our training program.

I hope that makes sense.

nvr2many 01-19-2013 04:05 PM

All broken mouth shanked bits are not tom thumbs either.

2BigReds 01-19-2013 10:55 PM

When I was picking out transition bits, the second one that Joe posted was one of my top picks. However, like you, I prefer a bit with copper and/or sweet iron, so I chose this instead:

Western SS Hinged Ported Roller Bit - Horse.com

Awhile ago one of the trainers at our barn happened to see it on my horse and mention that she used the same one to show all of her training horses in since it's a very easy transition from snaffle to curb. It's a nice, forgiving bit with completely independent sides for occasional two-handed reining. My horse LOVES this bit. It's good looking, to boot!